Mike Obenauf's #2 Folder: First Impressions

Didn't last long at all Dennis. In fact they all be gone. Have to wait for the next batch in about 4-6 weeks.

I sure am glad that I got them then. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to. I really owe you Don.

Originally posted by Dexter Ewing
Sounds like Mike's off to a good start! :)

Don - what blade steels are used on those?

Both of mine are D-2. Supposed to be at about a Rockwell 60.

Dexter,

If memory serves me correctly they are the enhance Crucible D2. I'm not a metallurgist so I am not sure what the enhanced means. I believe it is more corrosion resistant that standard D2.:confused:

It also has better edge holding ability and is reputed to be easy to resharpen.

Originally posted by stab1
Dexter,

If memory serves me correctly they are the enhance Crucible D2. I'm not a metallurgist so I am not sure what the enhanced means. I believe it is more corrosion resistant that standard D2.:confused:

It also has better edge holding ability and is reputed to be easy to resharpen.

Don - thanks for the info. I was under the impression that it was just regular D2. Crucible makes the D2M (M = modified). This is the same stuff that DDR used on my 4" EDC and Mini Maxx. Yup, good performing stuff all right. So far, I've no problems with corrosion or staining.

Just a quick note about D2-E: this particular steel, from what I understand, is exclusive to REKAT.

Kit told me they are using the 12.50 % Chrome D2. I am not sure which version that is.

Got mine yesterday. Haven't had a lot of time to get to know them yet, been working all weekend. Initial observations are quite favorable. Mike may be one to watch.

My favorite part of the knives so far is the handle. Very comfortable.

I will post a more detailed report this week.

Originally posted by shootist16

My favorite part of the knives so far is the handle. Very comfortable.

Dennis - looking forward to reading your observations. The handle IMHO is definitely one of the highlights of the design. Very comfortable, espcially during use.

I bought #3. I'd been looking for a Kit Carson small model 4 for a couple of weeks put kept missing them. When I saw these on Arizona Custom Knives I jumped on it.

I definitely concur on the handle contours. I _love_ mine. Paid less for it than my small Sebenza and I think it's 2x the knife.

Very happy with my first custom knife.

Mike

I just placed an order for two more. :D I am going to have Mike use carbon fiber scales and put a swedge on the top of the blade. Should make for an awesome looking knife. I will have pics as soon as they come in.

Would like to see some follow up on these. Would anyone that has one care to comment about how they like them after using them for awhile?

My model 1, serial #3 had a flattened detent ball. Mike fixed that for me, and removed the "other" thumbstud at my request while he was at it.

I've carried it some. I _love_ the handle shape. I'm not nuts about the clip (too difficult to clip / unclip), but I believe it's _exactly_ the same one you'll find on the Kit Carson knives, so it can't be all bad. :)

I really like the blue G-10 of the handle, like the fit-and-finish, like the blade-length. I guess I just like it!

As I start to compare...

Fox folder - pretty close (cheap for a "custom", feels delicate)
Obenauf - undervalued (I guess because he's a new maker)
Sebenza - overvalued - nice, but not THAT nice
Mayo TnT - just right -- expensive, but worth it

Mike

Very impressive work. I have the large folder #6. I have about 90 custom tactical folders, so I think I have a good base of comparison to judge Mikes' work. If I didn't know his background I would say this is the work of a long-time, experienced tactical maker, turning out a first rate product. My suggestion: Get them while you can at these prices.

Back