Militarizing the ENDURA… Profile MOD

After a full evening of fondling the new military'esque profile… I went ahead this morning and redesigned the back spacer giving the bar spring slot's lower tang some additional meat. Once machined and installed that helped greatly with bringing back the snappish blade closure.

I've got to say that I'm NOT at all a fan of the saber blade. Being so beefy the knife has an unbalanced feel. I also have developed a huge dislike for the sharp 90 degree edge of the Spydie hole on a saber blade. After about ten thumb flicks I must of caught the sharp edge just right with the perfect amount of pressure to have that edge carve out a goodly chunk of thumb flesh right at the nail junction. Bled profusely and this morning is extremely sore!!! I'll not be thumb flicking a knife for awhile until it heals.

That caused me to set the knife aside but for the limited time I got to play with this new profile… I am still liking it! I'll rid myself of the saber blade and acquire a FFG Endura to mod. I do not recommend a saber blade model.

I break the sharp edges on the Spydie hole on all of my new knives.

A few minutes with round diamond hone and then polish with round Spyderco ceramic rod.

Regards,
FK

I agree that if one has the ability to straighten the spine for this mod… it enhances the resemblance…
GUSTUrs.jpg

+1 on straightening the spine. Did it with my Manix XL and love it.

Boomer,

I flick with my nail in the hole, so it does scratch the nail but no bleeding. All models, Endura FFG and SG, Stretch, Cara Cara.
YMMV of course. Hopefully this method works for you.

I might have to get an Endura now! Never liked the handle's before.

As for your thumb, I've found that all of the seki models I've owned needed to be softened around the spydie hole. They've all been as sharp as you mentioned.

Yeah, this will be my next purchase. I have one Endura, but I am going to buy another when he has these scales worked out. Then I will get the scales, too. I love the concept and whole heartedly embrace it. I have to have a set.

Hey Boomer52 - If you decide to grab an FFG blade how much would you want for that sabre grind one you're tinkering with? Considered doing some project stuff myself and could find a use for sure :)

Hey Boomer52 - If you decide to grab an FFG blade how much would you want for that sabre grind one you're tinkering with? Considered doing some project stuff myself and could find a use for sure :)

It just SOLD in the Marketplace. I'll be ordering the FFG Endura today to use as my 'test mule'. Not certain where or why I acquired a saber grind…???

Acquired a FFG Endura and machined a second test set of the Endura/Military profile MOD scales. I'm going to call it the Endura/Militara. Black G10 faux bolsters with black canvas Micarta heels and jade back spacer. Here are some photos...

TEL5w3Gh.jpg

ULJSalkh.jpg

JqacJzah.jpg

921Jvo3h.jpg

R9KGn0mh.jpg

f6n3KJVh.jpg

apPCARqh.jpg

d7S6UNwh.jpg

ThDXuo3h.jpg

Chris "Anagarika";16495052 said:
Boomer,

I flick with my nail in the hole, so it does scratch the nail but no bleeding. All models, Endura FFG and SG, Stretch, Cara Cara.
YMMV of course. Hopefully this method works for you.

I do this as well.

Boomer, awesome work. When I decide what kind of scales I need, I'm coming to you!

Boomer that is simply awesome! I am going to have to have a set.
Any idea how much the knife weighs with the new scales?

Back