Military as a utility knife? What is an "EDC"?

Firstly, I'd like to say this is my first post, and it's great to see a friendly little community. I would like to begin by asking what is an "EDC"? Secondly, is the military a good utility knife? I would like to spend ~$100 for a pocket folder utility. I am not opposed to buying from a credible eBay seller. Any ideas?

Thanks all.

Best,

Trevor

An EDC is just an every day carry knife.

I think the Military would be a fine EDC if you are comfortable with it's size. I used to use a Benchmade 806D2 as my EDC. You might want to check your local laws. Where I am you can't legally carry a folder with a blade longer than 3.5" Even if you decide to carry anyway, knowing the law will inform the degree of care you exercise in carrying and using your knife in public.

I too was about to purchase the Military. However I decided against it due to a few reasons: The new paramilitary that will be coming out soon, my bias against liner locks, my preference against tip down carry, and the millie's large butt end :)

I didn't think the 806's size would be good for an EDC but I was wrong. The knive has a very slim profile and seems smaller than it is. Try to take a look at a military for real to see if the size is right for you since you intend to carry it around in your pocket. Some think it too large for EDC but it's all a matter of personal preference. Like I said many think the 806 too large for EDC but I am fine with it.

Since you are in Ontario there are no set blade length limits, but you may want to wait and see if the smaller paramilitary is more to your liking when it comes out (soon I hope :))

It's 3.5" blade I believe, S30V steel, config for tip up/down and left/right carry and has compression lock. And wire clip.

Might be more to your liking.

oh and to answer about the utility aspect those who use it say it's built like a tank and great for any job. It has nice tip and lots of belly. You might also want to check out the Al Mar SERE 2000, the 806D2 already mentioned by Benchmade and also the 710HS by Benchmade if you are in the $100 range for larger folders...

I'm always surprised at the number of people that think the Military is too big. It is a great utility knife, as the blade has a lot of belly and a fairly sharp tip for close-up work. As I mentioned in another thread, the Military has always been in my EDC rotation, ever since they first came out. The knife carries well and because of its nested liner, it is very thin. In fact, the Military is my "small" knife, the one I grab when I'm wearing something a little more fitted, like jeans. If I'm wearing slacks or walk shorts with a little more room in the pockets, I carry a Buck/Strider or CRKT KFF Pro.

Go with the Millie, you will not be disappointed.

You have got to get a military there is not a lot better.:D :D :D

What exactly do you intend to use the knife for? The Military and 921 are pretty different knives in terms of blade size and shape and overall build. By the way, I'd get a Military over waiting for the Paramilitary. That knife has been coming for about four years. I'll believe it's here when I see one on a shelf or at a show somewhere.;)

I have to second Anthony. Don't wait for the Para, you may be waiting a long time. I also have the Military and it is a great EDC and is in my rotation along with several other knives. Anthony also brought up another important item, intended use. I would also add another in addition to intended use, will the size of the knife be of concern for your normal surroundings? In other words, are you in school, work in an environment that isn't knife friendly, things of that nature.

If non of those are concerns and the Military fits your normal intended purpose, I would surely recommend it.

Don't just choose the Military because you saw it somewhere...there are many knives out there that are 'better', IMO....go Benchmade or SOG for the same price and you can get a knife with an axis lock (or SOG's equiv.) - far better than a liner.

Let some people recommend a few models to you to check out.

Warthog

For about 1/2 the cost you can get an FRN Endura...

I carry both my millie CE and endura SE all day in my front pockets. Use both all day at work.

I've had my millie since aug 02, and other than about 2-3 weeks while I fixed the tip and edge, it's been 24/7 carry. Missed it that short amount of time. Don't know how I managed to carry the CS ti-lite for so long.

The Military is an excellent utility knife that will not disappoint you. At first, its' size may be considered "big", but due to the nested liner, this lightweight Spydie is a breeze to carry. I carry my Combo-Edge Millie everyday and have used it to cut everything from manila rope to vegetables in the kitchen...where that hefty belly really shines. ;)

You can find a couple of great reviews of the Military HERE and HERE. I'm sure that you'll come to find that the Millie is a great all-around purpose knife that carries well in pocket, while also having plenty of blade to handle anything that you throw at it. ;) :cool: :D

Good Luck

I really love my Millie! ;) Some folks here count the size as a negative, where to me that's one of it's most attractive features-very easy to grip and I can open it as fast as an auto. Great knife for the money. geegee

Welcome to the forums!

You can not go wrong with the military. It is great as a utility knife! I carry mine all day and never even notice it since it is so thin and light. At first, I thought it might be flimsy or something since it is so light weight - it not flimsy at all! It is tough and light on purpose. You can tell that it was developed and built for a specific purpose - to be a light but strong utility knife. The handle might look big, but it works very well. The knife feels perfect in my hand.

There may be better knives out there for guys who stab people all day, but if you need a knife to actually cut stuff you can't go wrong with the Military.

I tend to use 4" as a standard carry, as I can get away with it no problems here. Millie has lots of belly and a wide handle to grip.

My main pair(endura on left, millie on right) can be cycled quite fast for the size. just muscle memory. Given human error(0.16sec avg), try this:

have a friend time you(the human error part). Assume the position(hands on wall shoulder height and width apart, palms on the wall, feet shoulder width apart), have your buddy start the time when you hands move. Reach down to your front pockets, and draw to ready(whatever the grip may be you choose to agree on). have them stop when you have knives in grip of choice. Do it again, but draw to ready, and then reverse(close, replace, hands up again).

I can do out in 2, out and back in 5. Given average human error, thats 1.68-2.32 and 4.68-5.32...

Who needs and auto at that rate?:D

And going by the still healing mark on my left thigh, the millie does damn well as a stabbing tool. stabbed about 1/2" of blade into my leg in febuary.

I don't think there's a "better" large, all-purpose, production EDC than the Military - given that you have relatively large hands. BM, MT, and CRK offer wonderful alternatives, which is why it's necessary to own several knives for an EDC rotation.:cool: :D

I think ParaMilitary is called to complete but no way to replace Military in SPYDERCO lineup.
Is the Military any good utility knife? Nope! It is great utility knife in my honest opinion. It is way too big for urban concealed carry although slim and lightweight. However for around household or for outdoors use it is one of the very best knives I have and it is one of the very first candidates if I would be pressed to keep the one single knife only, period.
Why? No wonder, it is simply the best cutter among the folders I posses or ever have handled (pretty lot, believe me :))

Just forgot to say. I have handled BENCHMADE 921 Switchback. It is neat gentleman’s folder but no way it plays in the same league with Military. If you would like to compare the closest counterpart in BM lineup could be AFCK, in my opinion. It has some specific advantages (Axis Lock for ex.) and follows Military extremelly closely in my evaluation. However as pure utility knife I would rate Military higher, it is simply better cutter althoug AFCK with its saber ground blade is not significantly worse, I just like Military slightly better.

Back