Military: New vs Old Model

What are all the differences? I know the new ones have the 3 screw clip, but do all of them?

What other differences are there?

Thanks,

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
cdfleischer@yahoo.com

"10,000 Lemmings Can't Be Wrong!"

Hi Clay - Differences between old and new Military models are mainly with the handle. The changes are - eccentric pivot, screws on both sides of handle, metal screw sleeves in the spacer, improved dyeing procedures for the G-10, nested stop pin screwed on both sides, a redefined angle for the serrations, polished liner lock, Torx assembly screws, and a harder steel for liner lock durability.
Sal - please fill in what I may have left off!

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator

"The keystroke is mightier than the sword"

Perhaps the easiest way to tell the old from the new at a distance is by looking at the choil area (at the base of the blade, next to the handle): the older models have grooves in the choil area, whereas the newer model does not. Is this not correct?

David Rock

Ronald - the eccentric pivot pin allows Spyderco to "fine tune" the lockup of the knife during assembly. By rotating the pin, they can move the blade forward or backward, therefore making for a tighter lockup. And the distance that the pin moves is very minute. The difference cannot be seen by the naked eye but shows up in the quality of the lockup.

David - you are correct about the newer ones not having grooves in the choil area

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator

"The keystroke is mightier than the sword"

Wow, glad some one finally explain what an eccentric pivot pin was. Learn something new every day.
smile.gif

I don't have anything technical to add other than I bought a plain edged ATS34 TiN coated Military when they first came out, and it plain sucked! And I am a Spyderco fan too...

Clip was too weak and would constantly loosen even after applying locktite. The black TiN coated developed stains and spots with in one days use. Lock up was pretty good, but the liner moved all the way across to the opposite liner. The G10 turned an off shade of brown and then absorbed the salt from my sweat, so it developed a frosty tinge to it.

The lock eventually loosened up to where it was not solid at all. The blade geometry is awesome in my opinion! Cut extremely well, and I liked the flat grind, and the ergonomics of the scales, overall good balance too.

When I finally returned CONUS, I sent it back to Spyderco in hopes of getting the problems rectified, as I had sent back numerous other Spydercos with great results. This bad boy took nearly two months to get back, the scales were the same, locktite was slathered around the clip, the lock was much better, and the blade was DULL, and I sent it sharp.

Gotta admit I was a little bummed, after having received new knives from Spyderco Customer service in the past. Was kind of hoping they would ship me a new series which had recently been released when I sent mine back.

Well, clip came loose again after two days, and the lock started slipping. Gave it away to a buddy.

Not meant as an attack on Spyderco as a company, I've had some great experiences with their knives and customer service, just got a lemon. You ship as many knives as they do, a few are bound to sneak out.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, I didn't expect a new knife. Just kinda hoped.... Had happened to me in the past.
smile.gif

chrisJohn - you might give a call back. The manager of Customer Service is Christina. She has good ears (as do all of our customer service crew). However, Customer Service has been undergoing a recent restructuring, which was badly needed. My apologies if they didn't have you smilin'. Suggest you try again.
sal

Thanks for all your replies. Mine is definitely an old model, but I have had absolutely no problems with whatsoever. Before this one, I had one old model and one new model with bad lockups. They were replaced with a new model which I traded for my current old nonserrated model. No problems yet. Will keep you all informed.

Thanks,

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
cdfleischer@yahoo.com

What? You traded it for your new model? You sure gave some guy a great deal!

--Doug (who owns Clay's old/new model...)

Keep the old model if it isn't too late!

Both Militaries are fine knives, but you will get much more uses with the old model ... it supports and extended notched finger choil for precision work where as the new version does not. It also adds to the blades overall appearence if looks is also what you desire.

The pocket clip mounted around the pivot screw on the new version kind of looks weird, too, especially when clipped in your pocket. No offense to Spyderco or Sal, just my personal opinion!

Again, they are both very fine knives, Spyderco's best as far as I am concerned!
Glad they stuck with the CPM-440V, also...

Mark

------------------

Mark -- Thanks for the heads up. Trust me, this Military is going nowhere.
smile.gif

Doug -- I think I got the great deal. I am WAY impressed with the CPM440V. And it wasn't as hard to sharpen as I expected. Touched it up on the Sharpmeaker a few weeks ago. Still hair-popping sharp.

Anyways, thanks everyone for their input, thanks Doug for the great trade (hope you're still happy with it), and thanks Spyderco for making the knife!

I am a Military Man! Hoo-Rah!

wink.gif

So when's the lightweight version (endura-military hybrid) coming out?
smile.gif

------------------
Clay Fleischer
cdfleischer@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by CD Fleischer (edited 26 January 1999).]

Wanted to clear up this bit about the finger choil. The new one has the same choil cut out as the old one sans grooves. Doug & Mark, hate to disagree with you guys but you can choke up just as effectively with the new as the old. Given all the other improvements I'd say hands down the new model is the preferred model period.

I've only had mine a few days and I see it become a regular "in rotation" carry.

-=[Bob]=-

Back