Mini grip blade off center

Hey guys, I just my first nice knife after doing a lot of research on here. I went with the mini grip 555hg. I bought it from eBay, brand new, and the seller had a 99.7% positive rating. This was how the blade came out of the box

IMG_20131124_173958_zps1de24110.jpg

IMG_20131124_173948_zpsb2e6d246.jpg

The blade is basically touching the scale on the left side. I emailed the seller for an exchange, but I haven't got a response yet. You guys wouldn't find this acceptable would you? Should I just return it all together and just buy it from maybe cabelas where I can see it first? Since it functions fine I don't see it as a huge deal, but if I ever wanted to sell it down the road I think it wouldn't be worth as much.

Just looking for advice from people with more experience than me.

I'd wait a little longer unti lthe seller gets back to you...he might give you your money back. Also, have you tried adjusting the pivot? Sometimes that centers the blade. If that doesn't work and the seller doesn't get back to you, you can always contanct Benchmade and send it out to them for warranty service.

How's the side-to-side blade play (when open)?

And BTW, you'll never sell it, its my favorite knives and was one of my first good ones, I've gotten many more great knives since then yet the 555 gets carried atleast every few days, you'll never sell it (but by all means get yourself a perfect one)

If the seller sticks you all is not lost, a trip to benchmade, tho inconvient, would fix it for the cost of shipping plus $5.

Alright I'll just be patient and see if the seller gets back to me. It was an eBay store I think, not just an individual seller, so hopefully they can just send me a replacement.

And you're right, who am I kidding, I'm not selling this thing!

My mini grip came like that too, seems pretty common. You could have seller try and hand pick another one or call benchmade and have it sent in which is what I did. Came back corrected and all is well.

Off center blades and those sharpened with uneven bevels and angles are my biggest gripes when ordering Benchmades sight on seen.

My mini grip came like that too, seems pretty common. You could have seller try and hand pick another one or call benchmade and have it sent in which is what I did. Came back corrected and all is well.

Off center blades and those sharpened with uneven bevels and angles are my biggest gripes when ordering Benchmades sight on seen.

Did you have to pay the $5 fee that others mentioned? Seems like since its brand new it should be free, but I thought it from eBay so maybe that's out of the question.

Did you have to pay the $5 fee that others mentioned? Seems like since its brand new it should be free, but I thought it from eBay so maybe that's out of the question.

The $5 fee is only if you elect to have it sharpened under life sharp, but if it's new in box and dull they will sharpen it for free too. It's only if you send it back later on to have it sharpened do they charge the $5 fee.

It's a new knife. Any work will be covered free under warranty.

Also, don't worry where you bought it from. Benchmade will take care of it regardless. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

BM's customer service is second to none.

Last edited:
My mini-Grip came in the same state, with no blade play. I bought mine from a reputable online store.

I, too, am living with this small imperfection.

No I didnt pay anything. I actually emailed them first, didn't hear back for over a week so I called them. They emailed me a UPS label to send it in and sent it back fixed.

The customer service is good they will take care of you, just call them don't email. I don't know if they always pay for shipping there but you definitely shouldnt have to pay anything additional to fix a warranty issue.

I've heard sometimes the blade stop pin might not be fully seated on one side or the other. Of course most people wouldn't want to take the scales of a new knife, But I can't see this being any more serious. I would think BMs tolerances are fine but the assembly might not. Anywho

I've heard sometimes the blade stop pin might not be fully seated on one side or the other. Of course most people wouldn't want to take the scales of a new knife, But I can't see this being any more serious. I would think BMs tolerances are fine but the assembly might not. Anywho

All three mini grips that passed through my hands were like this. I have not try'd to correct it myself. I can live with it. The big bulky adamas, all three i've held are fine. 551 also fine. It seems that the smaller knives have this issue more often.

Well the seller responded to me offering an exchange, or a refund if they were out of stock. I sent it back last night. If it's out of stock, I'll stop at cabela's and pick one up so I can see it before I buy it.

that gets me wondering if retailers just keep recycling those off center bladed knives to the next buyer. Which could mean they have a higher than normal amount of poorer knives.

that gets me wondering if retailers just keep recycling those off center bladed knives to the next buyer. Which could mean they have a higher than normal amount of poorer knives.

An off center blade does not always qualify as a manufacturing defect. Unless the blade itself is warped then it's usually something with the assembly, in which case it can often by fixed by loosening screws and retightening.

This tutorial on EDCF should help you.

It is a common complaint for the mini-grip/grip blades to be off-center. Pretty much half of what I owned over years had an off-center blade (including Ritter grips).

Back