Mini Jungle First Impressions

There was a package waiting for me when I got home today. One GH Mini Jungle and one Nicaraguan cigar. Sometimes life is good.

First the sheith. Not much to say here. The quality seems to be very good. On par with the sheiths that came with my HI knives. The leather for the frog is a bit thin but seems more than substantial enough for the size and weight of the knife. Good fit to the blade. Snug enough to pass the jump test but still allows the blade to be drawn easily. The chakma and karda are a little rough but entirely servicable. The handles are nicely finished and appear to be rosewood.

The blade. Much nicer than I expected. I was expecting something along the lines of an HI village model. The rosewood handle is very nicely done and the flat buttcap has a very tight fit and no sharp edges. The blade came with a very high polish and a VERY dull edge. There were several small indentations along the edge for about 1/2 an inch back from the tip. When sighting along the edge from the buttcap it appears the edge angles slightly to the left. It appears that the blade was ground/forged this way and does not seem to be warped or twisted. I seriously doubt that this will effect the performance of the blade. The sword of Shiva and accopomanying scrollwork and brass inlay are quite attractive. Edge hardness seems good based on the amount of time and effort it is taking me to put an edge on the blade with a hard Arkansas stone. I did some light chopping with it after I obtained a "chopping" (not razor) edge. I was chopping into an old hardwood post (don't kow what kind of wood it is but it is some tough stuff) The knife performed as I expected it would for a knife of it's size. Actually it was very respectable considering it's weight and size. The edge seemed uneffected.

Overall, I am pleased so far. I think is will make a nice little belt/ concealment knife.

After I get the edge to my liking I will probably put the blade through some "rigorous" exercizes to test it's limits. I'll post the results when I do.

Mike

PS Thanks for the stogie Craig!

Mike: They are my new favorites (for my budget-minded smoking, that is). As for the mini, I think you hit the nail on the head. They make great little belt-knives. I've done no chopping with one (basically because I don't think that's it's purpose), but I'm glad to see that it will do for small work in a jam. And as for the edge - it was my wife's fault! Just kidding, I had to blame somebody. Maybe I accidentally sent you one of those safety-khukuris (you know, like the safety scissors we get in elementary school)
smile.gif

Craig.

My new mini is lying before me as I write this. It is, in a word, exquisite. I also see definite carry potential in it when I work out some details.Although certainly not a heavy duty chopper, its lines are so pleasing that I believe a mini would compliment any collection.It is only my second khukuri,so I don't have much to compare to,but I wish each of you could handle this little rascal!

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

Jumbi - I don't have the pics up on the website yet (I have a photographer/knife afficionado friend who trades pics for khukuris). He's scheduled to shoot the mini, the new sirupati, and finally, the Bhojpure this weekend.

I do have about 8 that I got in the last shipment, and they are $49.00 each. Although I ended the "introductory price" special, you can have it with free shipping.

Craig:
Please check your e-mail (as if you don't)
smile.gif

Please start me off with a good edge, I'm a REAL novice to sharpening

[This message has been edited by Jumbi (edited 26 August 1999).]

Jumbi: one Mini-Jungle on the way tomorrow morning. I'll use on of the sharpening systems to give it a nice razor edge.

Back