Mini-Jungle & Ka-Bar size comparison

I told several of my friends about my GH Mini-Jungle and several of them pulled up the picture of it on the Blade Forum (see link below).
www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000087.html

Even after I described its size, the one comment I kept hearing after showing it to people was " This is really nice, I thought it was going to be a whole lot bigger". So, I thought I would do a size comparison with my USMC Ka-Bar. The Ka-Bar is one knife that most knife people can identify with and visualize in their minds.

The Mini is only slightly bigger than the Ka-Bar. Besides the difference in blade shape, the most noticeable difference between the 2 knives is the forward center of gravity (CG) of the Mini. Cutting and light chopping are effortless thanks to the greater blade mass. Although somewhat heavier, the Mini is very, very fast. The Ka-Bar has it's CG or balance point about 5/8" behind the blade, in the forward portion of the handle. The Mini's CG is well forward of the handle.

Just for kicks I took the measurements of each knife and put them side by side. I obtained the CG measurements by finding the point where each knife would balance on the rim of an empty 2 pound coffee can (Thank you Folgers). Nothing scientific but it gives you an idea. I noted the distance from both the blade tip and the end of the butt-cap to the balance point. A similar way to describe the CG difference is to balance a butter knife on your finger. Now, tape a quarter to the tip of it (the butter knife, not your finger) and note where the new balance point is.

Anyway, here it is for what it's worth. The Mini gives a whole new meaning to the term "Belt Knife".

GH Mini / Ka-Bar

Blade Length 7.75" / 6.87"
Overall length 12.87" / 12.0 "
Blade thickness* .375" / .156"
Blade width (max) 1.44" / 1.25"
CG from tip** 5.5" / 7.5"
CG from cap*** 7.87" / 4.5"

(*) Measured at thickest part of the blade spine.
(**) Center of gravity (balance point) distance from blade tip.
(***) Center of gravity (balance point) distance from Handle cap.

BTW, I don't have a small accurate scale at my disposal right now so I can't tell you the exact weight of either knife. Maybe Craig can shed some light on that detail.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

[This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 31 August 1999).]

Blackdog: thanks for the scientific comparison, despite the coffee can
smile.gif

The one mini that I just weighed tips the scale at 10.8 oz (khukuri only - no chakma, karda, or sheath). Due to the different kamis, different days, each one will be a bit different.

Craig.

Back