Mini Recon 1??

Not that I care for either, but isnt the old voyager and the new broken skull very similar?
one basically replaces the other in the CS line up?

We would need a serious amount of interest to make this happen.

Just make it with uncoated blade and you're the winner. The coating killed the Minis (not the price). 99% of people buy the mini to use it among the sheeple. Black blades are nogo for the sheeple. Make it with S35VN which is easier to machine, thus a lil cheaper. Simple as an orange.

Make the same with the American Lawman and you'll double the sales of it. Great EDC friendly shape but not EDC friendly coating.

I just don't understand why you still cover with DLC some knives that are made out of stainless steel and make uncoated blades out of steels prone to corrode fast. Recons are fine with DLC - its their nature. But American Lawman, mini Recons and even Broken Skull. Customers are begging you for like....3 years and....you're not listening.

It doesn't mean that you shouldn't use DLC at all. NO! CS is the only company that offers DLC at that price. But the thing is that some (and there are a LOT of us) just prefer the good old uncoated blade. Like a classic tuxedo black and white. Period.

I ve said it before, somewhere . An uncoated American Lawman blade would compete with the Spyderco PM2 as the best all-around edc folder on the market today.

We would need a serious amount of interest to make this happen.

Define “serious interest.” I would love to see the mini return. It has long been my favorite carry knife. It’s head and shoulders above all of it’s closest competitors. I’m not sure what led the mini to being discontinued initially, but I’m guessing it was simply low sales. I think, given a new shot at life, it could be a big winner especially given the conspicuous lack of 3” bladed folders in your current line-up.

I cannot believe why CS discontinued the 3" Recon 1.
Now only the 2" or 4"? It makes absolutely no sense to me. I will be at the parking lot sale May 18, and will ask Lynn Thompson in person. He is very approachable and cool.
I found one on Craigslist in my area and jumped on it.

This was waiting for me when I got home today, got lucky and ended up catching it on ebay right when it got posted. Been on a Cold Steel folder kick lately and never seen one in person so decided to grab it.

I think I'd prefer a drop or clip but I'm cool with this one
cmsaxeh.jpg

This was waiting for me when I got home today, got lucky and ended up catching it on ebay right when it got posted. Been on a Cold Steel folder kick lately and never seen one in person so decided to grab it.

I think I'd prefer a drop or clip but I'm cool with this one
cmsaxeh.jpg

Grabbed my current one (spear point) the same way. My previous one had been an older AUS-8 model. Really loving the thinner, less rough G-10 of the “newer” XHP version.

Not that I care for either, but isnt the old voyager and the new broken skull very similar?
one basically replaces the other in the CS line up?

There’s some truth to that, but the Broken Skull only replaces the Large size of the old Voyager. The thing I’d be most interested in replacing is actually the medium size of the old Voyager line. The original medium Voyager was the perfect “pocket” knife. And, by pocket knife, I truly mean a knife that rides in the bottom of my pocket until I need it the way our grandfathers carried a trapper or a stockman or some other traditional pattern.

I'd love to see the Mini Recon return, or a mini version of some other knives, specifically the Frenzy. Wharncliffe blades rule!

I'd love to see the Mini Recon return, or a mini version of some other knives, specifically the Frenzy. Wharncliffe blades rule!

While I do share your enthusiasm form Wharcliffe blades, I would definitely recommend that Cold Steel be selective in evaluating what models to offer with smaller ~3” blades. I think one of the reasons for slow sales on these models was because there were so many similar options for awhile. With ~3” versions of the AK-47, American Lawman, Recon 1, Voyager, and Hold Out series, I feel the market was split among many similar options and it couldn’t support them all. This led to slow sales on all of them which led to their discontinuation. I feel that if Cold Steel were to re-introduce some ~3” blade models without overload the market, they’d have some reliable sellers on their hands. With this in mind, I intend to continue to advocate for the re-introduction of the Mini Recon 1. Or, maybe a smaller Broken Skull.

While I do share your enthusiasm form Wharcliffe blades, I would definitely recommend that Cold Steel be selective in evaluating what models to offer with smaller ~3” blades. I think one of the reasons for slow sales on these models was because there were so many similar options for awhile. With ~3” versions of the AK-47, American Lawman, Recon 1, Voyager, and Hold Out series, I feel the market was split among many similar options and it couldn’t support them all. This led to slow sales on all of them which led to their discontinuation. I feel that if Cold Steel were to re-introduce some ~3” blade models without overload the market, they’d have some reliable sellers on their hands. With this in mind, I intend to continue to advocate for the re-introduction of the Mini Recon 1. Or, maybe a smaller Broken Skull.
A smaller Broken Skull sounds intriguing!

I think one of the reasons for slow sales on these models was because there were so many similar options for awhile. With ~3” versions of the AK-47, American Lawman, Recon 1, Voyager, and Hold Out series, I feel the market was split among many similar options and it couldn’t support them all. This led to slow sales on all of them which led to their discontinuation. I feel that if Cold Steel were to re-introduce some ~3” blade models without overload the market, they’d have some reliable sellers on their hands.

This is a great point. I really hope CS has not given up on this category. Surely the market can support at least one premium 3" model. Right now we have only budget blades like the Grik and Khan.

I would love 3" versions of the AD10 and 15...they are just a bit too big for my liking, specially the 10.

I guess slow sales were the reason the medium Voyager was discontinued also?

They were really my most carried of that line just because they were so compact.

I love most all of the big 5.5” blades but I do think smaller stuff does have its place in Cold Steels lineup.
Lately I have been going with a Grik and that is a great smallish knife.

I really don’t even recall the Mini Recon being available when I was looking for CS stuff, just the micro and regular size.

There is a lot of interest already. Why not do a short test run , test the waters . I’d be fine with a clip point . Or one of both.
They weren't big sellers when available and a small run would be more expensive than full production.

Back