Mini-tool switchblade pliers

Oregon, that's looks like the SOG auto plier. Don't know the model #. The only other one I know of is the auto Recoil from Gerber. Opens like a smaller 600 with just a press of a button. Walter

I don't own either. The plier jaws don't open wide enough for my work. Both are pouch carry. I'm sure of the Gerber and pretty sure on the SOG.
Walter

I have examples of this design by two manufacturers: SOG and United Cutlery. SOG is the original, and as usual, United is the credit-less, crappy rip-off.

The SOG SwitchPlier is pretty nicely made, as usual with SOG; however, SOG makes it clear that the pliers are for light duty *only*. The mechanism isn't very strong, at least compared to more traditional pliers and pliers-based multitools. Implements include a partially serrated blade, two-sided file/metal saw, flat & phillips screwdrivers, and a can opener, all of which lock with a mechanism similar to the new Leatherman models. The SwitchPlier is pretty big, about 4-1/4" long when closed, but as wwells says, the jaws don't open all that far.

The United is crap, as usual. The push-button release is mushy and not very positive, the implements don't lock, and it isn't finished nearly as nice as the SOG; heck, the handle is painted cast pot-metal. Same mix of implements, more or less; the file doubles as a larger flat screwdriver, but lacks a metal saw, for instance. It comes with a molded plastic sheath. The one I have is a lot smaller, too, about 2-7/8" closed; I think I've seen a bigger model somewhere, though.

Looking at the link you sent, it seems to be one of the United ones, with Stanley's name etched on. Same smaller size, same molded sheath. Definitely NOT a SOG. If you ask me, it's worth about the opening bid plus shipping, but no more.

oregon said:
Excellent ID Walter. Thank you. May you live for a thousand years.

Does anyone pocket carry these automatics? Do they open in your pocket? Are they sheath-carry only?

Here are links:

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Recoil-Auto-Plier-8474.htm

http://www.sogknives.com/swplier.htm

All the best,

oregon

Oregon ,

The Gerber Recoil could be a pocket carry with less chance of accidental opening as there is a safety clasp type device that slides under the push button from a pivot position adjacent to the button . Clasp and button can be manipulated with one hand . It is I feel a stouter tool than the SOG in comparison . As someone above mentioned SOG definitely lists thier tool as light duty .

The Stanleys or uniteds are definitely lesser quality , I have all the above and have been able to have them all side by side . Hope this helps .

Back