1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Miniature antique folding knife.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by mqqn, Oct 8, 2018.

1. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    My step-mother gave me this tiny blade that she said belonged to her grandmother; and my step-mother will be 80 in May. I am guessing the 1920s just because of the age of the people involved.

I am impressed with the quality of the build - the thing even has a half-stop!

I was excited to share a picture with my friends here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Neta, for the great little gift!

best

mqqn

2. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    What an interesting little knife!

I couldn't quite makeup the tang stamp. From the looks of the blade it seems like it has been sharpened down so the sharpening choil is gone, if it ever existed. It has a well used look to it beyond what just sitting in a sewing drawer would look like. Maybe celluloid scales?

For God's sake, don't clean it up. A drop of mineral oil in the joint and a rub down with a clean cloth. A light touch on a stone. It's a little treasure of a knife and it would be great if it could take. Does you step mother have any kind of background on the knife or her step mother? Country of origin?

3. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    @mqqn that is a very cool little knife. :thumbsup::cool: Kind of a teardrop design what a treasure.

4. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Who is the manufacture listed on the tang?

5. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    That is really neat!

6. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Possibly genuine tortoise shell?

7. mqqn

Nov 12, 2009
    Thank you for the replies -

I will get a better picture of the tang stamp this evening to post.

I believe the scales are celluloid as the blade appears to have some corrosion that is potentially due to off-gassing.

I have no history save that it belonged to my step-mother's grandmother and she had it as long as anyone can remember. I also have another one that Neta gave me several years ago - I'll get some pictures of it tonight as well.

Good to have other people that get excited over little treasures like these. Thanks!

best

mqqn

Storm 8593, Old Engineer and seas165 like this.
  8. PStone

PStone

Mar 3, 2018
    What a great piece!

I believe it just says “GERMAN” on the tang. It would’ve been worn around the neck on a chain or string.

9. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I like it a lot! :cool:

Ray

10. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Awesome little knife and the shape is sweet. What a wonderful gift.

11. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    What a nice little knife and to know who had it for probably most of it's life. A real treasure for sure . I would think that you are probably close on the age of it based on the ages of the people involved . Thank you so much for showing it my friend .

Harry

12. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Very cool little knife.
    I've got a tiny imperial of a similar size and it too is pretty functional, but this seems much more so like it was functional and built every bit as well as they would a normal sized knife.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  13. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    A great piece of family history! Keep an eye on those covers if they are indeed celluloid because they can ruin your treasure fast.

14. mqqn

Nov 12, 2009
    Thanks folks -

The tang appears to have (as someone mentioned it might) GERMANY stamped onto it -
    [​IMG]

The other knife that was given to me several years ago which was owned by the same lady appears in the following pictures - it is slightly larger and not made to the level of quality that the other knife.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am certainly proud to have them though, and I promise I won't clean them up, I'll just "oil the joints".

best

mqqn

15. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Very cool, I also like the miniature knives. I’d love to get some of the miniatures by the greats like DeBraga and Hendron.

mqqn likes this.
  16. Bobbybirds

Bobbybirds

Aug 17, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lovely miniature! I am late to the party but these are just a few from my treasured miniature collection...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Cutfinger, mqqn, Jack Black and 3 others like this.
  17. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Very cool collection of miniatures. Don't have any but I love em.

18. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I'm way late on this, but that's the same little imperial I have which was gifted to me by GT.
    it can be seen in this picture and is always hanging around my neck Along with a couple others.
    [​IMG]

19. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I have the little providence cutlery white one! Few of em laying around from an antique store that had a bunch...I was amazed they have half stops haha. I agree the quality appears no where near the original one you posted but the blade isn't that lazy which is pretty impressive.

mqqn likes this.
  20. W.M.B.

W.M.B.

Oct 11, 2013