Minimalist SAK with scissors and saw

Can any experts advise the name of the minimalist model with both scissors and a saw? Thanks!

With current production models, the smallest you're going to get will be four layers, the Huntsman and Fieldmaster. They have the blade layer, opener layer, scissors, and saw. Huntsman has the corkscrew, whilst the Fieldmaster has the phllips driver. Both are 91mm.

If you want to carry scissors separately, whether on another SAK, MT, or a proper pair, there is the Victorinox Walker, which is 85mm, and contains only the blade, combo tool, and saw. You should be able to find them with some quick Google Fu.

I could point you to vintage models or custom modders, but that might be cost prohibitive.

The smallest SAK I am aware of with both saw and scissors is the 91mm, 4-layer Huntsman. But I would not characterize it as minimalist.

Thanks Getahl and powernoodle for your helpful replies. I will be ordering a Huntsman. It looks to suit my needs perfectly. :thumbup:

Wenger or Vic Delemont EVO 18 is 85mm in length and very capable...I'm carrying one today. Almost the same tools as a Fieldmaster.

www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=EVO+18

EVO%2018%20YELLOW%20CATS_zpsudowtttj.jpg

EVO 18.jpg

Last edited:
91mm Victorinox Huntsman is minimalist compared to larger scissors/saw SAKs like the Champion, Swiss Champ and Cybertool L.

bl_102054_a

There is a Huntsman Plus which adds a pin, pen, and micro screwdriver.

Huntsman Lite adds a two battery LED microlight and an end-mounted Phillips screwdriver without adding much bulk.

Fieldmaster is a Huntsman with Phillips screwdriver instead of corkscrew.

41FX1WJACGL.jpg

Mountaineer is a Huntsman with a metal saw/file instead of a wood saw.

Victorinox_Mount_4f13f216a7d3b.png

Once upon a time, Victorinox made an 84mm Huntsman and 84mm Fieldmaster. They are rare and they sell for big bucks on the big auction site.

Victorinox's Delémont Collection of rebranded Wenger SAKs includes 85mm Huntsman and Fieldmaster equivalents, Evolution 17 (corkscrew) and Evolution 18 (Phillips screwdriver). They have Wenger's serrated scissors, loved by some and hated by others. They have a nail file instead of a small knife blade and some people really hate that nail file. If it bothered me that much, I would grind an edge on it and call it a shank blade.

victorinox-delemont-2.3913.e-evolution-17..jpg

V04361.jpg

The Evowood 17 has wooden scales which you'll want to stain and seal if you carry it camping, rafting, etc.

Also, there are EvoGrip scales with springy inserts of black thermoplastic polyurethane to give a stickier grip when the knife is wet, and to reduce stress on your carpal tendon when you grip down hard. They didn't make it into Victorinox's 2015 catalog, but some knives are definitely available and discounted like in-production models. Until Victorinox updates their catalog, you just have to go shopping and see what you can find. EvoGrip 17 and EvoGrip 18 would indicate fancy scales, EvoGrip S17 and EvoGrip S18 would add a lever lock for the knife blade.

81IItLBZMfL._SX425_.jpg

61iyTm7m3oL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, there truly are knowledgeable people in this forum! Very detailed information, and great pictures too. I learn quite a lot today. Thanks to all.

I would add that if you wanted a metal saw instead of a wood saw you could have a 3 layer Trail Guide (blade, combo opener, scissors and metal saw.

The trail guide is discontinued and might be hard to find, however the mountaineer has the same metal file. Not a bad one either.

Back