Mint condition, except for.....

Gotta love the for sale posts with the claim of a mint condition or bnib knife, EXCEPT FOR the small scratch, tiny scratch, scratch that can only be seen in certain lighting conditions, scuff, ding, mark, been sharpened, lanyard removed, or whatever. If it has anything wrong with it, it isn't mint...

Sorry, rant over.

Gotta love the for sale posts with the claim of a mint condition or bnib knife, EXCEPT FOR the small scratch, tiny scratch, scratch that can only be seen in certain lighting conditions, scuff, ding, mark, been sharpened, lanyard removed, or whatever. If it has anything wrong with it, it isn't mint...

Sorry, rant over.

Of course but people want to stress sometimes that the knife is like new except for that one little scratch as opposed to just saying “the blade is scratched” which paint two completely different pictures upon reading it.

You’re right though technically it isn’t mint condition then. It would be mint condition except for whatever.

Mint to me means that the knife is like new. Like a coin, not carried, not scratched, like new, from the MINT!

I'll take the misuse of the word "mint" with a description of any flaws in an ad over an ad that just says mint, NIB, or LNIB any day of the week.

"Card table for sale: Top badly damaged, leg missing, otherwise fine. One dollar or nearest offer."

I've seen brand new knives straight out of the box have a minor ding or tiny scratch on the blade or handle. It's hard to find anything that's 100% free of any blemishes be it knives or any other product.

All these words (MINT, NIB, BNIB, LNIB, etc.) are far less important than a genuine and detailed description of the knife. As a poster said above, a fresh out-of-the-factory-box knife can have dings and scratches.

Yeah in every other hobby ive been a part of, mint doesnt mean absolutely perfect. Usually a few minor minor minor imperfections are allowed.

Plus have you seen how easily some of this titanium can scratch? Perfect tends to not exist very long.

It's all semantics...it's up to the seller's ethics and pics to accurately describe/show what "imperfections" actually exist. One that I particularly dislike is a poor sharpening attempt that has left scratches on the blade surface. It's easy enuf to correct a bad grind, but scratches on the blade surface are tough to work with.
Fortunately, PayPal can help resolve issues of poor selling ethics.

Back