Miscellaneous Fish Pics

I was going through my phone and deleting any pics I no longer wanted when I came across these. I had totally forgotten about them, but it was fun to see them again. So I just thought I'd put them up and see what everyone else was catching. All my fish where released.

This first one was a surprise because I was fishing for Largemouth and Spotted bass when he decided to join the party. The fish were feeding on shad on the surface so all I was doing the whole trip was following the bait fish and waiting for the bass to start feeding again. I was having good success catching numbers of bass as well as quality. When this guy hit I was surprised because I was really a little "under gunned" with the tackle I was using. I was throwing a Zoom Fluke on a 1/4oz scrounger head with a Powell 7' medium heavy crankbait rod with a Citica 201E spooled with 10# P-Line CXX mono. I didn't have very much trouble landing the fish it was just a surprise at first. It was great fun on the lighter tackle.
stripe10CXX.jpg

This next one came from a pond about a mile from my house. A friend of my mothers owns it and lets me fish it whenever I want. Nothing really special about this fish, just a fun time catching him. I was using a Shimano 6'6" CarboMax rod with a Chronarch 101A spooled with 20# Power Pro braid. The lure was a Strike King Red Eye Shad in chrome sexy shad with the stock hooks replaced with Mustad KVD triple grip trebles size 2. Not sure about the weight but I'd guess maybe 4 pounds.
pondlargemouthredeye.jpg

This one came from a lake 7 miles from my home, it's where I fish the majority of the time. Also nothing really special about this guy, again very fun to catch though. This fish came on a Powell 7' medium heavy worm and jig rod with a Citica 201E spooled with 15# P-Line CXX mono. The jig is a custom made jig by a local guy around here. He calls the color Key Lime Pie. The trailer was a SweetBeaver in Infection.
largemouthfranklinkeylime.jpg

Lastly is this nice sized Crappie I caught crankbait fishing for bass. He's a pretty good sized one, the best I've caught in a while. The rod was a GLoomis 845 Crankbait with a Calcutta TE 201DC reel spooled with 12# P-Line CXX mono. The lure is a Lucky Craft RC 1.5 in Copper Green Shad with the stock hooks replaced with Owner 2X wire Stinger trebles in size 4.
crappieRC15.jpg

Like I said I only fish for fun so all fish were released alive and well after the pics. What have you guys been catching and what did you use to do it?

The 1st fish. Striper or hybrid? Ive caught a few hybrids and they are a blast to catch.

Nice report! I always want to know how a fish was caught and on what. I love zoom flukes and super flukes though I generally fish them weightless.

Thanks
Matt

In the Baja last week
A Sierra caught trolling a hoochie
Baja2012128.jpg

Not real big but big fun like any fish
Dan'l

dipbait, it's a Stripe. They get a good bit bigger than this one, my friend's dad caught one that was about 20 or 25 pounds. Lots of people fish for them here. The most popular way is to wait until the dam is generating power, therefore causing strong currents and then just drive your boat to about a casts length away from the dam make your cast and let the current push you down river for a few hundred yards. It only takes about 3 to 4 minutes to make one pass because of the swift current, then just reel in your bait and drive back to the dam. Sometimes there will be 10 or more boats all waiting in line for their turn at a drift.
The current forces the bait fish into tighter, bigger schools and they have a hard time fighting the current making them slower so with both of these factors working against them they become an even easier meal to catch for the bigger fish. So almost as soon as they start to generate current the fish turn on and it's really fun.
Most of the people I see around here use a simple rig to catch them with. Usually a 3/8oz ballhead jig with a Zoom Super Fluke in white with the tail dyed with some Spike-It chartreuse dye. As for tackle most people use a big round baitcaster on an 7' Ugly Stick or Berkley Lighting Rod with at least 20# test mono. Some go higher, 25-30# mono and some go with 65-80# braid. I guess there really isn't a great need of the best tackle with this type of fishing. Basically you just need a reel that will hold a fair amount of heavy line and have a some what smooth drag. Because all you have to do is be able to cast a short distance and then just hold on to your rod while the current does all the work for you. With such high line ratings the drag doesn't have to be silky smooth it just has to allow a little give when the fish makes a late run. Also the strong current makes the fight that much better.

Some times you'll hook into a nice fat spotted bass doing this, these Coosa River spots are MEAN.

2012-03-02_16-07-36_108.jpg

2012-03-02_13-46-17_335.jpg

Caught these on black and chartreuse tube jigs 12" under a cork. ( Not the gator)

Heres some pics of a tiny stream where i hunt...My brother and i spotted these fish and had them identified by a fishery expert..They were liberated here in 1880,s for the gentry to fish..these are PURE scottish brown trout....apparently there are no pure strain even in Scotland anymore....this fish is approx 9 inches long and as big as they get in this stream...The bush falcons keep numbers down.....FES

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

Good work Todd. Looks like someone had a fish fry.

festerfromnzed, that's some very interesting info and a great looking fish.

Thanks to everyone for taking part so far.

Heres some pics of a tiny stream where i hunt...My brother and i spotted these fish and had them identified by a fishery expert..They were liberated here in 1880,s for the gentry to fish..these are PURE scottish brown trout....apparently there are no pure strain even in Scotland anymore....this fish is approx 9 inches long and as big as they get in this stream...The bush falcons keep numbers down.....FES

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

where is this located? .. thats a gorgeous fish man..

War Eagle...my favorite fish to go after is Striper. beauty fish. nice pic.

here's a nice bass from Lake Champlain (VT)....
bassr.jpg

oh, and FES...that brownie is just beatiful. never seen colors like that.

You guys suck! ;)

The water's still a bit to hard for fishin' up here. :grumpy:

Ha! i know what you mean. the bug's biting me though. hence...here i am looking at fish pictures. only another month for us to wait in VT.

I'll add to the thread. I spend most of my time on BF in the Traditional forum, but this looks like as equally a good home for me. I travel the northeast for work, and never leave home without the fishing gear. Here a a couple pics from this past year in my home state of NY.

Smallmouth on the Salmon River.
0713111841-1.jpg

Trout on the Salmon River
0609111808-1.jpg

What I did every day at 3:30, while working up near the Salmon River :)
0609111757-1.jpg

Walleye on the Black River
IMG_20110920_172020-1.jpg

Smallmouth on the Black River
IMG959284-1.jpg

Walleye on the Mohawk River, lower side of Lake Delta
2ftwalleye-1.jpg

Northern Pike, same place
northern-1.jpg

Trout (really, you may need to enlarge pic) Tioughnioga River.
0817111850-1.jpg

I'll add to the thread. I spend most of my time on BF in the Traditional forum, but this looks like as equally a good home for me. I travel the northeast for work, and never leave home without the fishing gear. Here a a couple pics from this past year in my home state of NY.

Smallmouth on the Salmon River.
0713111841-1.jpg

Trout on the Salmon River
0609111808-1.jpg

What I did every day at 3:30, while working up near the Salmon River :)
0609111757-1.jpg

Walleye on the Black River
IMG_20110920_172020-1.jpg

Smallmouth on the Black River
IMG959284-1.jpg

Walleye on the Mohawk River, lower side of Lake Delta
2ftwalleye-1.jpg

Northern Pike, same place
northern-1.jpg

Trout (really, you may need to enlarge pic) Tioughnioga River.
0817111850-1.jpg

Gotta give that little guy in that last picture credit for thinking big:D

here are a few i dug up.

caught these trout flyfishing in the mtns of NC a few years ago. i need to get back to the hills. i miss em

HeltonCreekMemorialWeekend003.jpg

HeltonCreekMemorialWeekend005.jpg

HeltonCreekMemorialWeekend004.jpg

Back