Missouri Butterfly question??

I have been a member of the AKTI for about 2 going on 3 years now. I am very pleased with some of the information I have gotten and other assistance I have received during my tenure. I have a question about Butterfly knives here in Missouri. I found out the straight scoop on automatics but I am in the dark about Balisongs ( butterfly) knives. As far as selling one, trading one or even mailing one here in the state of Missouri. Any help would be highly appreciated. And I will be renewing again during the next BLADE show. thank you all

I have been a member of this organization for over 2 years. I can only remember asking one other general information question. Doesn't anyone from AKTI monitor this section of Bladeforums? Who do I contact within the organization to get an answer to this question. I sent an e-mail on the address on the website but still no answer. :confused:

Hey JD

I have not been monitoring this site for quite a while. My bad....

I will get some answers on your missouri question.

I would like to know as well. I bought mine at the Missouri State Fair here in my hometown of Sedalia, and I was right next to a State Trooper when I bought it, he was buying some other knife and mentioned to me "nice knife."
So I would assume it would be legal, but do not take my assumptions to heart, I would still like to know more if it is legal or not.

Wow that was quite some time ago when I posted that question about Butterfly knife laws here in my home state of Missouri. I have heard so much conflicting information. In this state it is illegal to carry an automatic but you can have a collection of them as long as they are in your place of residence :confused: .

When I bought a Benchmade auto at a Gun/Knife show a few years back I was talking to a guy who was a dealer at the show and he told me if you can make it home with the blade without getting stopped they you are legal. Is that insane or what :rolleyes: .

But I have heard so much conflicting information about Butterfly knives here in Missouri which is why I put this question up for open discussion. I have since traded away the 3 butterfly knives that I had previously owned. I truly hope that membership in AKTI continues to grow. Some of these horribly antiquated knife laws need to be repealed immediately.

They are covered in the same section of the statutes as autos. You can own them but illegal to carry. Makes no difference if you have CCW or not. This is interesting, because with MO CCW you can carry a number of other items concealed, fixed blades being one of them. Separate sections of the laws.

I am not a lawyer, so take my info for what you paid for it.

Back