MK1A vs. MSC7.5

Now that the MK1A and MSC7.5 are both available albiet at remarkably different prices, what are the distinctive differences that would motivate a buyer to choose one over the other?

Sundavall,

It depends on how far back you go in the history of the MSC 7.5. The first models of both the 6.5 and 7.5 were hollow ground by Mick and are super sharp. I don't know how many of these exist, other than mine, but I've seen a few around. Mick would know.

attachment.php

Unfortunately, IMO, the later MSC's share the same full bevel grind found on the new production models. So, as far as I know, there is very little difference between them. Pic attached is of the full bevel ground MSC and was taken by TADGear.

attachment.php

I hope this helps.

Eric

Redhook,

I've seen the hollowground MSC6.5/7.5 available now at Tadgear, from Matt D and others.

Generally speaking, I prefer the full bevel grind over the hollow grind, so the new style is fine with me.

What are the overall lengths of the MSC 6.5 and MSC 7.5? Is the measurement cutting surface?
TIA

clee,

The 6.5 has a 6" cutting edge and is 12 1/4" long. The 7.5 has a 7" cutting edge and is 13 1/2" long.

I think Mick gave the knives their numerical desgination based on the length of the grind which ends in the middle of the choil. Each is 6.5" and 7.5" respectively from the tip to the end of the grind. Or 1/2" longer than the cutting edge

Eric

Thanks Redhook I've been wondering that for a while now. Your answer is the best explaination I've got.;)

Originally posted by Matt D
The one's I have in stock are the full bevel grind.
Matt D

Thanks Matt. Actually, I have a MSC7.5 Flat ground. Mick is currently working on some customizations.

Here is my assessment of it.

IMO this knife is an awesome design. Has the blade belly of a flat ground bowie knife with the false edge spearpoint profile for a great balance of penetration and strength. The blade height and thickness generates a lot of power in cutting and chopping. The full bevel grind helps in performance while reducing weight.

The handle profile is great. The forward taper prevents hand slippage while chopping and withdrawing the blade. The double cross guard tines prevents handslippage on the edge. The guard tines, choil and grooved thumb rest makes choking up on the blade very secure and comfortable. A nice convenience is that my hand clears the top guard tine when using the thumb rest.

The end of the handle profile has a grooved thumb rest for reverse grip which also serves as a striking area for hammer fist strikes.

The BG42 steel is a good choice, gets very sharp while maintaining decent corrosion resistance. Although, I had expected that this design would be ported over to S30V. I guess the ease of field sharpening of BG42 might have been a deciding factor in this consideration.

Quickdraw SOE sheath with a kydex insert that goes all the way in the belt retention area is great. Anyone who has had to yank their knife to free it from the kydex insert knows how convenient this addition is.

Bottom line, the neutral balance of the MSC7.5 is that of a fighting knife with characteristics to make a good perfoming utility blade. As opposed to a dedicated blade heavy utility knife that can also be used for fighting. The ergonomic considerations that went into the design of this knife clearly answers the earlier cries regard the lack of ergonomics in Strider designs.

Now that it comes from the production line, I may have to get the smaller one. (I know you have that one too Matt!)

Now if Duane would come up with a production flatground D-9 then..........

I agree with sundsvall. The design of the grip is by far the best feature of Mick's custom knives. It is extremely comfortable in both a saber and reverse grip, and i have pretty small hands.

I find the 7.5 to be a little more nose heavy than the 6.5 and would probably perform best with an overhand chop or slash. The 6.5 is balanced very well, is light, and is very fast. It just doesn't have the reach that the 7.5 does.

Eric

Back