Mnandi on a wicked edge.

I am looking to sharpen my mnandi on my wicked edge. I am going to check with angle with a sharpe but was wondering what angle are you using.

Thank You,

Liquid

I would start by detrmining what the existing profile is and whether it is balance on both sides. Do invest in an angle cube that would provide a more accurate angle on the bevels. As an example, if one side is 17 degrees and the other 19 degrees, I would then set the WE to 17 dps. Then both side would even out. If you decide to go for 19 dps, you would end up wasting materials. I do not have a mnandi but on a Large 21, 34 - 40 degrees inclusive works very well IMO. You could also get some information within the WE forums and members there do posts their experiences when it comes to bevel angles on various makes of knives. All the best.

Last edited:
^^ this might have a typo. 40dps - that's Degrees per Side, or 80 degrees inclusive. I'm sure this should be 34 -40 degrees, or 17-20DPS.

Apart from that, I would definitely recommend using a sharpie in addition to an angle cube. This will help visually verify the reprofiling creates the same height on each side. If the blade is not perfectly centered (and is tilted to one side), just matching angles may result in an uneven bevel. On my W.E. I always had to be careful of this, lest I got things uneven.

Are you looking to match the factory bevel? Are you looking to get a better performance? Are you looking to even things up?

I would start a little on the wider side, say 20 dps and see where that comes out with the sharpie. I don't own a mnandi. My sebenza likes about 18dps, which seems pretty close to the factory edge (which is a little convex to start with) and performs really well.

This edge is after a few good sharpenings on my W.E. Just a little maintenance now and then and stropping gets it whittling hairs...

crAbtKFl.jpg

Last edited:
I did my Mnandi on a different system, but went with 22 DPS

Back