Modding Tomahawk

Hi

As I've posted before, I've been throwing a Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk.

Being new to throwing, I am of course getting some missed that hit the target with the very top of the handle, causing it to loosen.

Can I trim that part off so it is even with the hatchet head, and then drive a new metal wedge in ? Will the throwing balance change significantly ?

Thanks

Joey

weapons8.jpg

The steel head is wedged on the convex part of the wooden handle. I would first mate the head to the handle by slightly sanding off the hotspots inside the head, and on the wood untill the head has full contact with the wood. At this moment it could be that only a few ridges contact the handle, so the handle comes loose too easily. Don't use a wedge, the head will just as easily come off as a convex head. Secondly if your permanently mount an axe head on a throwing hawk, the wood might break instead of the head getting loose after a botched throw.

ps don't show off your goodies :D

Hey Joey check out the Sticky at the top of the Hawk Forum "Mod'ing the C.S. Trail Hawk" Lot's of Great Info. on Hawk Mod.'s you'll get lot's of Mod. tip's for any style/type of Hawk,

Cool. I just hd to fix my CS Rifleman cause the head was creeping up.Bought myself a new vise, replaced the stock screw with a longer screw and also added Gorilla Glue before pounding it back down.

I'm not gonna go nuts modding this one cause I throw it all the time and its taking a beating. I'm going to add some black hockey tape above and below the head, and possibly slightly cushion the top of the handle with a little foam rubber and then tape it down. I'l post a pic later. I threw it about 30 times today and the head hasn't moved.

When I buy some new hawks soon I'll be modding them, possibly even doing some carving.

I really like this new hobby. It's fun, relatively inexpensive (as opposed to my gun and guitar collecting habit ) and you can be creative with customizing the hawks. Pretty cool.

Joey the Butcher

PS: Here's a promotional shot of me for my band "The Knightsville Butchers".

weapons5.jpg

Back