Model 14 Attack with the Model 16's hilt?

It would seem like this stock hilt from the Model 16 SP#1 Fighter:

qNw2rjP.jpeg

Would look cleaner, more refined on the Model 14 Attack, than what the M-14 comes with:

O5h5jeV.jpeg

Is there a technical reason why the Model 14 comes with the hilt it does? Perhaps strength or something to do with the blade shank dimension?

Also, is there a reason why Randall does not sell the Model 14 with finger grooved Ivorite? Thanks for any further insights.

It would seem like this stock hilt from the Model 16 SP#1 Fighter:

qNw2rjP.jpeg

Would look cleaner, more refined on the Model 14 Attack, than what the M-14 comes with:

O5h5jeV.jpeg

Is there a technical reason why the Model 14 comes with the hilt it does? Perhaps strength or something to do with the blade shank dimension?

Also, is there a reason why Randall does not sell the Model 14 with finger grooved Ivorite? Thanks for any further insights.

I have 2 mod 14s with the 16 hilt and 3 with the fch. Personally, I've never seen one with the hilt in your pic cept in the catalog

I have 2 mod 14s with the 16 hilt and 3 with the fch. Personally, I've never seen one with the hilt in your pic cept in the catalog
I really appreciate that information. I wonder if Randall charged for the change?

Apparently the hilt shown on the 16 is the "Brass Double Hilt." Randall notes it's "Standard on Models 1, 2, 13-6". Slightly different style double hilt is standard on 14, 15 and 18."

"Brass Double Hilt
Standard on Models 1, 2, 13-6". Slightly different style double hilt is standard on 14, 15 and 18.
Price - $25.00 extra on non-standard knives."

So if you request Randall to replace "slightly different style [brass] double hilt" on a #14 build with what's I guess the standard "Brass Double Hilt", they charge $25.00 for that? How come?

Is there a technical reason why the Model 14 comes with the hilt it does?
Also, is there a reason why Randall does not sell the Model 14 with finger grooved Ivorite?
There is no "technical reason" for the Model 14 and Model 15 hilts. In fact, other hilts are available for either knife. I chose to have a single nickel-silver hilt on my Model 15. As best I can remember, I wasn't charged extra for the hilt shape (only for the fact that it is nickel-silver).
Also, Randall has made these knives with non-standard handle materials in the past.
My Model 15 [here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn1f82z03p05dji/storm.jpg?dl=0] has a white lineal ivory handle--I had to [1] find and purchase a block of it, [2] send it to Randall, [3] pay an upcharge for customer-supplied material, and [4] release Randall from responsibility for the material, if anything should go wrong.
-Steve

Last edited:
There is no "technical reason" for the Model 14 and Model 15 hilts. In fact, other hilts are available for either knife. I chose to have a single nickel-silver hilt on my Model 15. As best I can remember, I wasn't charged extra for the hilt shape (only for the fact that it is nickel-silver).
Also, Randall has made these knives with non-standard handle materials in the past.
My Model 15 [here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn1f82z03p05dji/storm.jpg?dl=0] has a white lineal ivory handle--I had to [1] find and purchase a block of it, [2] send it to Randall, [3] pay an upcharge for customer-supplied material, and [4] release Randall from responsibility for the material, if anything should go wrong.
-Steve
Thank you for your response. What a beautiful knife! That sort of handle is what I am looking for. I understand from searching the web that the Ivorite does not perform too well with the stock Model 16 handle configuration with finger grooves, hence Randall not using it.

Is your handle real ivory? I have a chunk that I would really love to use, it's been bouncing around my family for generations, but I understand that Randall does not allow it.

Is your handle real ivory? I have a chunk that I would really love to use, it's been bouncing around my family for generations, but I understand that Randall does not allow it.
It is NOT "real ivory." It is "white lineal ivory Micarta" that I bought years ago, already sized and slotted for a Randall knife. You are correct--Randall stopped putting ivory handles on their knives some time ago.
[here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtoeordtmcs0dlw/Micarta.jpg?dl=0]
-Steve

Back