Model 17 - Astro, Who has them?

Architect

Gold Member
I just ordered (3 years away) a Model 17.

I almost never see this knife at shows or on the forums or on any of the auction sites.

Before I ordered, I called the Randall shop to ask a few questions. The man I spoke to (no name) said that they hated making this model due to the extensive filework required on the stainless steel blade.

He was not enthusiastic about this model.

My primary interest is just to have one, I may never use it, but I dreamed about having one of these since the early '70's. Now that I have had my first child, I decided I deserved to get myself one.

Anyone else have this model? Is it unpopular because there are no "variations" or "customizations" possible?

Whether the shop likes to make them or not, the sad fact is that is just not a very popular knife and is not ordered by anyone very often. That is why you don't see them too often at knife shows. Most of them are sold to collectors who want them because there are not many around. We have been a Randall dealer for over 5 years now and have never had a request to order one for a customer. Greg

Hey Greg,

Good to see you posting again! I miss our emails, and I also hope that all is well with you and yours! All is well here too.

Architect,

Like Greg said, most of these go to collectors...such as my wife and I. Between us, we have, um quite a few RMK's.

The RMK model #17 is one of our favorites, and we're quite sure you'll be happy with yours. There is quite a bit of "extra" work that goes into the making of the #17, and the quality of a RMK really shines through with that model.

The blade grind is exceptional, it's a little front end heavy which I really like in a knife, and the all Stainless blade/hilt construction makes for a very extreme use knife.

The only thing about the knife that I don't like is the handle size. It's a little "skinny" for my tastes. If I was going to "hard use" the knife, I'd shrink down a few layers of Raychem's heat shrink tubing...in black of course... ;)

If you haven't already asked for it, have the sheath made up in black...that's a trick looking set up.

Of all the RMK's we have, if I had to pick "just one" to get by on, the #17 would be in the top four. You made a good choice...now sit back and enjoy the wait...lol

Thanks for the posts and info. The only Astro that I ever got to handle was at the Triple Aught Design shop in Oakland, part of Mike's personal collection. As you said Melvin, it has a front-heavy emphasis. It really makes you want to give it a swing.

Thanks for the tip on the black sheath option, I will let Virgina know.

WOW! That's a nice RMK Collection you've got there Bubba!

Guys, you've got to check out all 48 of those pics in Bubba's gallery..."Sweet!"

Bubba, I think you just found yourself a new best friend... ;)

Thanks for sharing buddy, and thanks for the pics, good job!

I have one. It's a strange little knife but I like it. The package is very versatile, and the handle and blade shape really let you get a tight grip for detailed cutting. I just let my thumb wrap around the guard and rest on top of the long flat blade back.

By the way I did replace the sheath with an Eagle Industries sheath. It works great that way, you might want to do the same.

n2s

Mel,
I'm glad that you enjoyed the scans. I've been a Randall lover for a few more years than you (since 1964) and I still enjoy the enthusiasm of the new collectors. I appreciate your comments on both forums and would be glad to share any of the information that I have obtained from having owned more than 350 Randall knives.
Bubba

Hello guys
Greetings from italy
I need your help as im not an expert.
I have got this astro. It should by the sheath, dated 1969/70
But some things on the sheats does not look good to me. It is normal that a nikel guard lesve this marks??
Thanks for the help

Andy
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/8734/mqjin3.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img911/4865/nQoWnA.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img907/6229/k5qqYB.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img903/8361/MvGKm4.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img633/9389/DOq8P6.jpg

The only thing about the knife that I don't like is the handle size. It's a little "skinny" for my tastes. If I was going to "hard use" the knife, I'd shrink down a few layers of Raychem's heat shrink tubing...in black of course... ;)
Sheldon, the removable handle on the Astro allows another way to get a "fatter" handle--just slot a micarta block as if it was to be used on a Model 14 or 15, but mount it on the Astro. (See the picture of mine.)

Andy, that knife is beautiful! I am green with envy!

The guard is stainless steel not nickle silver, and yes it will leave a mark like that on the sheath. If I could only have one knife it would be that one!

I have a 17, but it's a late version that I got from bluestar a couple of years ago, to go with my Case 'moon machete'.

Cut_n_run, I like that handle! I may just try that.

Andy, your knife is fine, no problems. Thanks for your kind words VA27

Back