Model #27

Hell all. I just love the looks of the model 27 Trailblazer with model 25 handle configuration, brass hilt and butt cap.

I read on Randall's website that the 27 is one of the newer models. When was the model 27 first produced? Anybody know who or what inspired the design of the model 27? Big D1

The Model 27 was first made as a Randalll Knife Society club knife, RKS3. First knives delivered in August 1997 at a price of $320.00. This was the last knife that Bo Randall actually had a part in designing but was mainly the brain child of Gary Randall.

The 5-3/4 inch blade is a slightly smaller version of the 1988 issue of the Randall 50th Anniversary Commemorative Knife, which had a 7-1/2 inch blade. Very similar in shape, blade wise, you once again, see and feel, the strong influence of Bill Scagel on Bo Randall's early knives

There are actually a total of seventeen spacers on this knife. The spacers go from the hilt: 6 regular spacers in a combination of black, brass, red and white; a thick 1/4 inch black micarta spacer; 3 spacers red, aluminum and red; another thick 1/4 inch black micarta spacer; and finally 6 spacers in a combination of black, brass, red and white again. Then comes the stag handle with a 9/16 inch (compass size) Randall Knife Society club medallion in the butt.

For a color photo go to www.randallknifesociety.com and link at the bottom of that page to all the RKS club knives. ////// Rhett Stidham

Rhett, thank you for the very informative reply. Yes, I can see the Scagel influence in the #27. The Scagel influence is the reason that I like the knife so much. The Trailblazer, in my opinion, defines the lines of time. Big D1

The Model 27 Trailblazer is my favorite RMK. The gorgeous stag, the brass buttcap and the lines and grinds are out of this world.

Here is mine.

180339-Rmk3%20600.jpg

Another view

180342-RMKbutt600.jpg

This blade balances in the hand beautifully and makes the perfect outdoor blade for hiking and backpacking. You can choke up on it or if need be it is heavy enough to chop wood in a survival situation. Sweet is the word that comes to mind.

BoyNhisdog, very nice #27. I guess that is the standard handle design. The more I look at that handle design, the more I like it. That is one big, beautiful piece of stag. Sweet is definitely the word that comes to mind!! Do you mind if get a copy of that pic?

Does anybody have a pic of the 27 with the 25 handle configuration? I would love to see a nice pic of it, and I might want to get a copy of it too. Big D1

Be my guest Big D1, just right click on it and save. I got this one in a trade last week and am very happy with it overall as you can see. I have had quite a few RMK's and this one is wonderfull. You can really do fine work with this one. The design is awesome. It does have a very elegant look to it. The edge is very thin which makes this a cutting machine but the stout spine makes it a good wilderness/survival kife too. The handle gives you a good grip and is comfortable in heat or cold. These guys know how to do stag.

This thing cuts as good as my Sebenza. I had a thick Model 15 I believe with the 01 and it was amazingly sharp. It must be how they craft the blade. All these arguments over the steel are pretty mute to my ears because I use the kives hard and THEY CUT!!! I am always amazed at just how well they cut. I would depend on one for my one knife. I use ATS-34, BG-42 etc and they have nothing on the Randall crafted stainless blades. Some folks need a "new, magic" steel to feel good about it. I need one that performs and passes the test of time.

Back