Recommendation? model suggestions

Hey everyone - A friend is looking for another knife, and has these requirements (not completely set in stone, but gives you an idea what he's looking for).

• Made in America
  • Spring Assist
  • 3.5" - 4.0" blade
  • High-end steel (M390, 20CV, S90V)
  • Black Scales (G-10, CF, etc.)
  • Black Blade, Black Hardware
  • Up to/around $240

He's looked at Benchmade & ZT so far. Any model suggestions? Thanks.

KnivesShipFree ZT 0770CFM4 would be my pick. It's just a little under the blade length requirements.
3.25 in blade, black coated, black hardware, assisted, CF scales, made in america, and I think M4 qualifies as high end steel as well.

KnivesShipFree ZT 0770CFM4 would be my pick. It's just a little under the blade length requirements.
3.25 in blade, black coated, black hardware, assisted, CF scales, made in america, and I think M4 qualifies as high end steel as well.

He'll be using it for just about everything - general use EDC. Slicing vegetables, steak, boxes, letters, whatever. He had a 154CM assist, and after a visit to our local knife shop (Recon1), he ended up with a Benchmade 940-1 S90V. He loves the edge retention (and so do I, as I sharpen several friends knives), but misses the assist so is looking for a second EDC for the rotation.

Any other suggestions? The ZT 0770CFM4 is in the lead. A little smaller than he wanted, but by far the closest to his specs.

How about maybe a kershaw blur in s30v. The going price is around 80 bucks .I have one and it is a great user knife that won't break the bank
The blade is 3.41 inches. It holds a very good edge for a very good amount of time. Not the most flashy knife but in my opinion a very practical one.

I just got a Benchmade Vallation. It is a badass knife and I have no complaints. It basically hits all of your criteria, but has S30V steel. It also comes partially serrated. The spring assist isn't super strong. Its snappy, but doesn't whip out like my ZT 0566. It is rock solid in all directions with perfect grinds, and centering. It also has a glass breaker on the end if your buddy is into that. The Vallation is worth a look. :thumbsup:

Back