Modern Iklwa / Assegai Spear!

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Kailash Blades, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:22 AM.

1. Kailash Blades

Kailash Blades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 21, 2015
    Check out this Modern interpretation of an Iklwa spear we just made at Kailash Blades!

[​IMG]

The Iklwa is traditionally a zulu weapon and a variant of the assegai. The iklwa has a shorter shaft and a longer, broader blade that is used as a slashing weapon as well as for thrusting. This particular blade is 5160 with an integral forged bolster, full length hidden tang and forged plate pommel. And would you look at that Hamon?

[​IMG]

Specs:
    13" Blade
    20" Handle
    1.5kg with a balance point 4" behind the bolster

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? Too pretty to throw? Or would this be a perfect zombie apocalypse tool?

2. gadunz

gadunz

Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    Kailash Blades likes this.
  3. Kailash Blades

Kailash Blades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 21, 2015
  4. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    So much want!

5. Kailash Blades

Nov 21, 2015
    That does seem to be the consensus!

6. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Beautiful that looks like it would be a blast to throw or cut my hedges with, nice work.

7. Kailash Blades

Nov 21, 2015
    Thanks mate! Might as well use the funnest yard tool possible :)

d762nato likes this.
  8. scarysamcary

scarysamcary Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 28, 2020
    An absolutely amazing piece! I love the Iklwa and I think this is the best modern interpretation I have come across!

9. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    Actually, I used a spearhead about that size on a 5 foot shaft to trim some branches on a tree in front of my house. I got tired of the guy across the street who would always mad dog stare at me whenever I was doing yard work. It worked great, was a lot of fun, and the guy never came out to glare at me again.