Modified a Buck 112 (pictures)

David Martin

I installed ivory micarta slabs on a standard 112 for some later scrimshaw work. Here's the slabs after the epoxy dried. DM

Outstanding result Desert Dave. Ivory color looks rich on a Buck knife. I applaud you talent and achievement. Was it much trouble preparing the target knife or installing and finishing the inlays?

Anticipating the embellishment to come. Have you settled on a theme? Your smiling face perhaps...

Thank you Oregon. It took me (plus, I don't consider myself to be Fast at it) 2hrs. to remove the original slabs, cut and fit a new pair. Then set in glue to let dry for a day. Then perhaps 6hrs. today for sanding and polishing. So, an 8hr. job. My photos are not as good as some other folks here. Still, it turned out nice. A friend wants his name on it in fancy lettering. Once she gets that on it I'll get you a photo. The 112's have some subtle lines, giving it a classy look. I enjoyed my time doing this. DM

Thank you Chris. My photos don't do it justice. It's a looker. Especially, without pins. Guys who have considered changing a 110 or 112's slabs should do it. The worst you could do is ruin the knife. So what, get another and try again. Some others here have done some nice jobs replacing handles. Give it a try. There's some tricks but its not that hard. DM

Heck yeah.
Plus it is pretty darn fun to rescale a knife, and admire the finished product.
My first one was that nickel 112 reblade and rescale, and I learned a ton about what to do , and what not to do.
Which carried over into the next projects.

I really really like the way your project turned out.
That ivory micarta has now made it onto my list of materials I want to use to rescale with :)
That would be the absolutely perfect "canvas" to have my favorite bird dog's portrait in scrimshaw.

Very nicely done David... Looks great now, but will look even better after your wife works her magic on it :D

David, that really looks great... Good job on that one... Thanks for sharing all the pics... :thumbup:

Chris, Yes they are a fun project. Mike, Thank you. She'll work on it over this long weekend and then I'll have a peek. DM

ITE, Thank you. The pictures do interrupt progress but I thought, what the heck it will be a different topic for us Buck nuts to discuss. This handle material-- paper, ivory micarta is strong stuff and wears on sandpaper. I wore a dust mask and eye shields as the dust can be a problem when working in an enclosed shop. Not so much when sanding wood. DM

Well done David! :thumbup: I am really looking foreword to seeing it with it's tattoo ;)
Very rewarding feeling when you start seeing your work come to completion, isn't it! Ivory micarta will get better and better as it mellows with age too. Nice choice!

Great job, David!! I like the white scaled knives a lot.
I'm looking forward what Leesa does with the unspoiled
surfaces.

Haebbie

Great job, Dave. I remember the pictures Dave posted of Leesa's work on his knives.

Yeah, Yeah, Nice knife, what I would expect from DM Buck nut, BUT now I am ready to see some decoration from your better half....

Great courage and workmanship on this project. Love the white micarta scales, Someone brought up the work Ms. Leesa did on PD's knives. Sure do miss his posts. Again great workmanship on your part. Looking forward to seeing after her work done on this beauty.
Harold

Back