Modified CBK

The blade shape reminds me of an old Western or Marbles knife.

Now.....that you mention it.
It really Does. I didn't intend on that.....
I just wanted a pointier version of your Canadian....haha.

Maybe we should call it the JK Canadian Woodcraft? 😬
1623901408685.png

Last edited:

Not to put down the Marbles woodcraft because it's great at what it was designed for, but it has a lot of belly and it starts almost immediately so for more general tasks, John's CBK is much nicer. I did a fair bit of testing with an Buck knives copy of the woodcrafter and it was great for hunting and slicing but was otherwise a bad bushcraft/utility knife. It was a killer for the kitchen with the long belly but it just felt limiting with such a short section of flat edge in front of the handle. It's a very subtle difference that makes a big difference in how it performs.

I really like what you came up with, with the straight-backed CBK. It's cleaner looking than the clipped CBK idea I came up with a couple years ago and had John make for me. I still use it for the home and camp kitchen.

I was actually thinking the blade looks a lot like the buck 104 compadre but you've got that canted blade of the CBK that makes it much nicer cutting things below chest-level like cutting boards or game on the ground.

Either way, I bet it performs great and it looks great for sure.

I was asked for more info....

.125" O1 steel.
Flat grind with convex secondary....at least I stone & strop, so it will if John doesn't sharpen them that way, idk?
4"blade 4.43" handle length.
1.187" blade height
Approx 8.625" overall length
Ebony scales with copper tubing not peened
5.8oz without sheath
8.1oz total

Not to put down the Marbles woodcraft because it's great at what it was designed for, but it has a lot of belly and it starts almost immediately so for more general tasks, John's CBK is much nicer. I did a fair bit of testing with an Buck knives copy of the woodcrafter and it was great for hunting and slicing but was otherwise a bad bushcraft/utility knife. It was a killer for the kitchen with the long belly but it just felt limiting with such a short section of flat edge in front of the handle. It's a very subtle difference that makes a big difference in how it performs.

I really like what you came up with, with the straight-backed CBK. It's cleaner looking than the clipped CBK idea I came up with a couple years ago and had John make for me. I still use it for the home and camp kitchen.

I was actually thinking the blade looks a lot like the buck 104 compadre but you've got that canted blade of the CBK that makes it much nicer cutting things below chest-level like cutting boards or game on the ground.

Either way, I bet it performs great and it looks great for sure.
Very astute with you seeing the differences between John's make, and Marbles...
I totally understand what you mean with the edge near your hand. Makes sense.
I've never used a Woodcraft, nor seen them around, maybe they aren't in style now? I Really like this blade as an edc size (for me). I feel safer using a knife I can hold with my whole hand, and in a variety of holds.

THIS is a Real Beauty... Looking at all of John's knives, I'm going to put this in his Top Ten (in My opinion) Haha

I hope some of his Fans try it out.

I actually like the modified version better than the original, thanks for the idea.
Very astute with you seeing the differences between John's make, and Marbles...
I totally understand what you mean with the edge near your hand. Makes sense.
I've never used a Woodcraft, nor seen them around, maybe they aren't in style now? I Really like this blade as an edc size (for me). I feel safer using a knife I can hold with my whole hand, and in a variety of holds.

THIS is a Real Beauty... Looking at all of John's knives, I'm going to put this in his Top Ten (in My opinion) Haha

I hope some of his Fans try it out.

I actually like the modified version better than the original, thanks for the idea.
Wow....that Really says something, since Your CBK is the nicest I've seen.

Part of me is wondering what a matching set would be like?
*With a matching Trailing Point as well. 😁

Back