Modified my Drop Forged Bowie today

I panic-bought several CS knives recently, especially the drop forged line since I figured GSM would drop them like a hot rock in the not too distant future. One that I bought was the old style Drop Forged Bowie with the 6.75" blade vs. the now 9" blade and faux handle inserts. One of the things I despise about the Bowie (and the Survivalist for that matter) is the upper guard. It really limits the usefulness of the blade in my mind. The chances I need a fighting knife are somewhere between Slim and None - and Slim left town.

Anyway, I started by cutting the despised upper guard off. I then - poorly - wrapped the blade with blue tape and painted the handle, including the now uncoated steel where the upper guard used to be. I then cord wrapped the handle; this was sorely needed because the handle is far too small for my large-ish hands.

Pics of the mods; my first cord wrap, so please be gentle.

VIdGmvP.jpg

CSyv0l7.jpg

It still fits the Secure-Ex sheath, but the loop snap won't fit over it any more; that's OK, I plan to remove all the nylon belt loops on my CS blades and attach them Tek-loks.

FmOPH81.jpg

One thing I could use help on is: A better knot for the end of the cord wrap (see first pic). That square knot has and will come loose and I'd like to use a better knot. Suggestions?

I was able to use the knife this afternoon for making some tinder for a campfire. It was actually now usable without the upper guard. The knife cut the wood nicely and with little effort Sorry, no pics. :(

Thanks for looking!

ETA: This is what the CS Drop Forged Bowie looks like unmolested:

SnvFPwO.jpg

Looks great to me, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you had the courage to cut off the upper quillon - I've thought about doing it to mine but have been gun shy after mildly botching a finger choil on my Survivalist.

I don't have any advice re knots to finish off your wrap other than to play around and see what works. I stacked straps of leather in the hollow areas of the handle then over wrapped with gutted paracord using a method that tucks the ends under. So far so good, but I don't carry mine as much as I really should.

DF Bowie 3.4.2022
Note that I had to whittle down the throat of the sheath to make everything fit. I'd like to carry it more but the handle is so darn heavy. I need to find a way to lighten it up a little.

Did not know the silver ones were smaller.

These are DQ’d?

Anyway, nice looking mod

Last edited:
I wonder how thick the middle part of the handle is? Thick though to act as a stick tang, i wonder

Back