Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

I am new to this website and found this forum while browsing the site. I began modifying CS hawks about 10 or 15 years ago. I began doing it because I wanted one similar in style to the tomahawk used by Mel Gibson in the movie “The Patriot” but could not afford a custom one. I have probably done around 26 to 30 different CS hawks over the years and a little over a year ago decided to do a few other manufacturers hawks. I have done a Condor pipe hammer poll and most recently a CRKT hammer pole both of which are heavier than CS’s except for possibly the CS Rifleman hawk. I don’t care much for the Condor although it is made of slightly better tool steel than either the CS or the CRKT. They stamp their makers mark very deeply into the hawk bit face and it must be welded up before you can make the hawk look decent. That isn’t a big deal unless you don’t have a welder like me. Here are some photos of some of the CS’s I have modified along with the Condor and the CRKT
rfwGTeF.jpg

3GwiFI1.jpg

z6IXR0V.jpg

YtUYkpF.jpg

xyDg27P.jpg

xuTq1hu.jpg

EqNj0mt.jpg

19HHqhP.jpg

FfV57Ur.jpg

View attachment 1349132

7l1QSOm.jpg

2oZNhfW.jpg

SaQ1ZPF.jpg
That is amazing work. I love it

I am new to this website and found this forum while browsing the site. I began modifying CS hawks about 10 or 15 years ago. I began doing it because I wanted one similar in style to the tomahawk used by Mel Gibson in the movie “The Patriot” but could not afford a custom one. I have probably done around 26 to 30 different CS hawks over the years and a little over a year ago decided to do a few other manufacturers hawks. I have done a Condor pipe hammer poll and most recently a CRKT hammer pole both of which are heavier than CS’s except for possibly the CS Rifleman hawk. I don’t care much for the Condor although it is made of slightly better tool steel than either the CS or the CRKT. They stamp their makers mark very deeply into the hawk bit face and it must be welded up before you can make the hawk look decent. That isn’t a big deal unless you don’t have a welder like me. Here are some photos of some of the CS’s I have modified along with the Condor and the CRKT
rfwGTeF.jpg

3GwiFI1.jpg

z6IXR0V.jpg

YtUYkpF.jpg

xyDg27P.jpg

xuTq1hu.jpg

EqNj0mt.jpg

19HHqhP.jpg

FfV57Ur.jpg

View attachment 1349132

7l1QSOm.jpg

2oZNhfW.jpg

SaQ1ZPF.jpg
Very nice work!

rfwGTeF.jpg

3GwiFI1.jpg

z6IXR0V.jpg

YtUYkpF.jpg

xyDg27P.jpg

xuTq1hu.jpg

EqNj0mt.jpg

19HHqhP.jpg

FfV57Ur.jpg

View attachment 1349132

7l1QSOm.jpg

2oZNhfW.jpg

SaQ1ZPF.jpg

amazing piece of work

Finishing up my CS spike hawk mod. First I stripped the paint. Then I used files and sand paper, no power tools. 320, 400, 800 grit sand paper on the head. Then I used Super Blue, one coat and left it on about 2 minutes.

I sanded the handle with 220 grit sand paper. I then mixed boiled linseed oil and wood stain, 50/50 mix. I didn't know how that would turn out, but I am very happy with the results. It was a one time application of BLO and stain at the same time, and the finish is exactly what I wanted.

The grooves I put in the head are an attempt to reduce the weight a little bit, and also to provide a better gripping surface when using the head as a tool for scraping, skinning, ect.

I will probably put some kind of leather wrap grip on the handle. I haven't decided what to do about the screw hole yet.

CxT5r8r.jpg
J9coQDZ.jpg
Kkg5mXn.jpg
whBBtXK.jpg

Finishing up my CS spike hawk mod. First I stripped the paint. Then I used files and sand paper, no power tools. 320, 400, 800 grit sand paper on the head. Then I used Super Blue, one coat and left it on about 2 minutes.

I sanded the handle with 220 grit sand paper. I then mixed boiled linseed oil and wood stain, 50/50 mix. I didn't know how that would turn out, but I am very happy with the results. It was a one time application of BLO and stain at the same time, and the finish is exactly what I wanted.

The grooves I put in the head are an attempt to reduce the weight a little bit, and also to provide a better gripping surface when using the head as a tool for scraping, skinning, ect.

I will probably put some kind of leather wrap grip on the handle. I haven't decided what to do about the screw hole yet.

CxT5r8r.jpg
J9coQDZ.jpg
Kkg5mXn.jpg
whBBtXK.jpg
I filled my screw hole with J-B Weld .

Nope, I'm wrong. Rifleman is 26oz head only, 36.5oz with handle.

HB is 17oz head only, 24.6oz overall.

Zieg
I bought the Rifleman. I've sharpened it (necessary), sanded off the "Taiwan", welded the set screw hole, and treated handle with linseed oil. I plan to add a nail pulling slot. I also bought the King's County Tool hatchet/tomahawk. It cost slightly more, but was sharp enough to use when I got it. I plan to put one in the truck, and the other in my SUV.

I bought the Rifleman. I've sharpened it (necessary), sanded off the "Taiwan", welded the set screw hole, and treated handle with linseed oil. I plan to add a nail pulling slot. I also bought the King's County Tool hatchet/tomahawk. It cost slightly more, but was sharp enough to use when I got it. I plan to put one in the truck, and the other in my SUV.
Well done! Now, pics?

Zieg

Well done! Now, pics?

Zieg
Ahhh......sorry I don't have 'before' pictures. I'll get the nail slot added on Monday, then see if I can figure out how to post pictures. Hoping that the combination of hammer poll and nail slot makes it a 'tool' not a 'weapon' in the eyes of the law.

Ahhh......sorry I don't have 'before' pictures. I'll get the nail slot added on Monday, then see if I can figure out how to post pictures. Hoping that the combination of hammer poll and nail slot makes it a 'tool' not a 'weapon' in the eyes of the law.
We can always look up the "befores" ourselves😸

Zieg

Back