Mora Garberg Review

I would like to warn others of the Mora Garberg. It is not worth it for the price IMO. The angle which it is ground is unsuitable for bushcraft and is not a good carver. You will also have rolling with the factory angle unless you micro bevel. I think a micro bevel defeats the purpose of a scandi IMO. Also it comes with very deep grind marks making it very difficult to mirror polish. The geometry 27 degrees a side is to overkill along with the thickness for a bushcraft knife. It is overkill for the size. The Mora companion is much better IMO. It is very sturdy but is overkill for size and handle is not ergonomic.

Sorry to hear about your experience. While I have no experience with the Garberg myself, I actually enjoy the handle on my Eldris (I believe it's pretty similar to Garberg's). Also, I've had no edge rolling on the Eldris, but they seem to be using different steels (12C27 on Eldris).

I would like to warn others of the Mora Garberg. It is not worth it for the price IMO. The angle which it is ground is unsuitable for bushcraft and is not a good carver. You will also have rolling with the factory angle unless you micro bevel. I think a micro bevel defeats the purpose of a scandi IMO. Also it comes with very deep grind marks making it very difficult to mirror polish. The geometry 27 degrees a side is to overkill along with the thickness for a bushcraft knife. It is overkill for the size. The Mora companion is much better IMO. It is very sturdy but is overkill for size and handle is not ergonomic.

I never could get my head around the asking price for the Garberg, I just don't see the value over a Mora Robust or Companion, hell the Cold Steel Peacemaker II is a full tang similar type scandi grind and $25. Seems the performance is as disappointing as the price.

Sorry to hear about your experience. While I have no experience with the Garberg myself, I actually enjoy the handle on my Eldris (I believe it's pretty similar to Garberg's). Also, I've had no edge rolling on the Eldris, but they seem to be using different steels (12C27 on Eldris).
I agree the eldris handle is nicer because they are made of different material.

I would like to warn others of the Mora Garberg. It is not worth it for the price IMO. The angle which it is ground is unsuitable for bushcraft and is not a good carver. You will also have rolling with the factory angle unless you micro bevel. I think a micro bevel defeats the purpose of a scandi IMO. Also it comes with very deep grind marks making it very difficult to mirror polish.

Wonder if you got a lemon as my Garberg suffers from none of those issues. It's proven to work quite well, even when used hard.

Mine works very well too. Best mora I ve used. Holds an edge, and easy to sharpen. Cuts like crazy,light in the hand. I like the the multi mount sheath as well but I'm not a dangler kind of guy.

Back