Mora knives factory tour

Blue Sky

Gold Member
Watched this today, I thought fans of Mora knives would also like to see a tour through the factory. I like how it is all done in-house, where they are in control of (and responsible for) everything. Around the 6 minute mark, the tour guide talks about how their machines do a good job, but never have any ideas for improvement, and how you need skilled people for that. What a great comment, showing their appreciation for the human element in manufacturing. Overall it made me appreciate Mora even more than before.

I like Thomas Eriksson, seems to be a nice fellow. He answers questions on Facebook and is a good source of info. I had an old but unused IKEA branded Scandi knife and I asked him about it. He said it was rather rare even in Sweden (though modern) and it may have been from the time just before all the consolidation of all the different makers. Nothing special, just a carbon blade and a somewhat different plastic grip.

Anyway, I sent it to him for their collection. In turn, he sent me an Eldris, a Mora 2000 and a lanyard.

At about 11:00 he shows the pad printing machine. Looks like they are printing the BAHCO logo on the plastic sheaths.

They make about 25,000 knives a day ... :oops:

That was a well done video and a very good one to promote Morakiv!

I wish the Swedish and other European axe makers would do similar videos. Other Scandinavian manufacturers have a lot to be proud of and videos like this one would be awesome. People are generally aware of the German and French global products but, a nation like Austria could benefit from videos like this one to promote their axes and garden tools among other products like automobiles. Add Dutch and Italian ship builders and Sheffield Lambsfoot knifemakers and someone like myself could easily kill a day on YouTube!

I stumbled on this today while perusing the BF site for nooks and crannies that I do not usually check on my first day off in a while and I was interested, informed, and impressed by this nice little video. Its a great idea to promote one's brand and let people know how these tools are made for one's enjoyment outdoors. Other makers would be well advised by Sid Post to create a short video for their products like Mora did. I was very curious about the amount of work done by robots. Also liked the remark about "...robots will never come with suggestions about how to make something better". I appreciate the effort and brand even more now. My oldest Mora is only 9 years old so I am sure it was robotically made. Love to see some 'old' Moras....anyone out there have one to show? Great video! Well done.

Very cool, but a little sad to see how little human craftsmanship is involved. That's progress I guess.

Very cool, but a little sad to see how little human craftsmanship is involved. That's progress I guess.
That's part of the reason Mora knives are so good and cost so little. A lot more hand labor would drive prices up a good bit IMHO.

That being said, even with the diminishing returns with greater cost, something like my Rokka
Korpisoturi is worth the up charge to me, and with additional hand labor to make it you have something extra special for the extra cost to the end consumer.

Maybe that is why Mora, like Victorinox, has such a great uniform quality and consistence of manufacture. Machines don't gt Monday morning hangovers, or Friday weekend antsie's or Wednesday afternoon blah's. One Mora or SAK will be just like the other one that you replace or have as an extra, or buy as a gift for a family member.

Increase of mechanization and use of robotics/computer controlled machines, is why the Japanese took over the car market in the 70's and 80's. Maybe if Camillus and Schrade had invested in newer more automated machines, they would still be in business.

Whenever I see factories like these I always wonder... who manufactures the manufacturing machines?

Whenever I see factories like these I always wonder... who manufactures the manufacturing machines?
Who made the first programming language to program the first programming language?
How was the first computer made?
F***ing magnets - how do they work?

In the video, it seems that the blade blanks are stamped in the wrong direction (perpendicular to the ā€œgrain flowā€ of the steel). Cant understand why, Iā€™m sure they have at least one metallurgist consultant.

Amateur metallurgists looking looking at a picture are likely missing a lot of what is actually happening.

In the end, what I receive from them works really well so who am I to critique their processes? Seriously, for how little I pay, I am impressed with the utility I receive from their products.

Ok, I'll bite ... :) ... how about some different handle colors in North America? Ordering and shipping out of the EU is simply too expensive for factory limited runs!

Back