Moran handle strength?

Richard

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
I remember when the Moran Spyderco came out. No offense, but my first thought way back then was "gee, what an ugly knife". Recently I have taken a second look, the more I look, the more I want. I guess my taste has improved over time. By reading the other forumites praises of this knife I think im gonna buy one. One question, I have read a of a few problems with the Cold Steel handles coming loose or off. How are the Moran handles. What are they made of? Will how are they attached? Will they come loose under normal use? I would also like input on the new sheath, looks very versatile. Thanks in advance.

You should not have the same problems with the Moran that people have had with the Cold Steel stuff. The Moran has a hard fiberglass reinforced nylon (zytel) handle with soft rubber inserts (kraton I'm guessing). The Cold Steel knives have handles of all kraton which is not as stable as zytel.

With reference to the one I have. The handle is fairly durable and will take impacts, abrasions and resist being cut strongly. The bond seems to be strong, the blade will break before coming out of the handle. The inserts are also in very secure and are difficult to get out even if you are trying to do it.

-Cliff

I once cut a can in half with a Moran Featherweight. Not an aluminum beer can, mind you, but the kind peaches come in. I opened the can with the Moran, ate the peaches (in order to justify opening the can), and then, just for the heck of it, I cut the can in half sideways. This is not what I would call "normal" cutting, but it does simulate hard use in a "normal" manner: by pushing the knife edge first through a tough medium. My goal was to see if the Moran could survive hard use in a pinch. Evidently it can. The edge was seriously rolled, but not permanently damaged. The handle is stonger than I am.

I like the Moran a lot. My only suggestion for improvement is to make it in a drop point version.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
"Never carry a knife shorter than your schnoz."

Rich,

I have two of the old style Moran's and I love them. The only thing I have heard thus far was some one had over heated the handle and melted the kryton on it.
smile.gif
Aside from that, it is a very nice utility knife.

I plan on using my on a WT deer next month. The ONLY difficult choice is do you want an old model OR a newer model?! LOL... I would go the OLD, and not be concerned about the sheath
smile.gif
. You know what I mean....lol.

Ray 'md2020'

Sal,
Make a drop point Moran and I'll buy it in a minute.

BTW Just got the "new" Moran. Already have the "old" leather sheath style.
Absolutely LOVE that kydex sheath system!!

Sooo...how many ways are there to rig this thing anyway? A friend of mine says a friend of his has found 18 possibilities. I gotta get him to show me!

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

Back