More fun in Hawaii

Well, I went down the hill behind my house with the intention of doing some chop testing with the Warthog and Kukri, but the clouds of mosquitoes and sheer itchiness of the bamboo and sawgrass drove me back before I found anything good to whack on. I did learn that the Kukri doesn't make a great brush-cutter for me; it's too heavy and slower to move than you'd really want. My favorite machete is actually a gigantic Old Hickory butcher knife. I still love it, though. Best heavy cutter/chopper I have. And it looks ferocious. ;)

I think Kabar's 2217 Big Brother would be a good knife to go through this stuff. Lighter and faster than the Kuk. Hmmm... :D

Got some nice photos, despite the bugs.

DSCN0753.jpg

Not sure what this is called (we call it California grass) but it gets ten feet high or more, the edges are serrated and can cut you, and it's covered in small stinging spines that stick in your skin and itch like hell.

DSCN0752.jpg

Stand of wild bamboo behind my house. Good stuff to test a knife on. I'll do another trip better prepared.

DSCN0751.jpg

DSCN0750.jpg

Only in Hawaii will you find surfboards in trees...

DSCN0747.jpg

And old aquariums? :confused:

DSCN0745.jpg

DSCN0741.jpg

This is the swale that runs down the valley and over a dropoff. This is as far as I can go from here.

DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0737.jpg

DSCN0736.jpg

DSCN0735.jpg

You can see some of my hiking buddies swarming around my legs. :grumpy:

DSCN0732.jpg

DSCN0728.jpg

The swale behind our house runs down into the valley.

All this is right over the fence behind my house. I gotta go again soon with a better 'whacker and jeans on next time! Any advice you guys have, I'd love to hear it.

Just noticed I didn't take any knife pictures. D'oh. :eek: :grumpy:

Man, that place looks so awesome.

I would look at the Big Bro'. Its a damn fine knife and well suited for what you described. You get the handle we all love, a longer thinner blade, and sawback serrations that will do a find job on bamboo, for cutting around combs. Just about perfect for what you are describing.

Oh, and I don't know how those mosquitos are getting to your skin, looks like they need a machete of their own. :D You got on knee high wool socks? Thought you Hawaiians were a hairless breed.:D

Great pics, I love finding little "treasures" in the brush, but sometimes, it makes you say WTF.

Moose

Big Brother is on my wishlist.

As to the socks, no, they're rolled down above my boots. Pure Hawaiians aren't too hairy, but that's where my Portuguese kicks in. :D

Great pictures. Have you ever thought about the KA-BAR Grass Machete? It was designed for these type of circumstances.

1279_HalfSize.jpg

-OKB

Back