Mosaic damascus blade

Danbo

Platinum Member
Ok, so I didn't make the damascus. This was a small piece of John Fitch damascus, and I didn't know what kind of pattern to expect. I think it just might work. I do notice a small possible inclusion in the steel on the back side, but it's not too bad. Lemme know what you guys think. 1084/15N20 mix, heat treated in salt.

Here's the other side. Does that possible inclusion look too bad to finish the knife? I hope not, as I can't grind this blade any thinner.

I don't see no stinkin' inclusion!

Bruce Evans told me awhile back to strike the blade (not hard) on an anvil or other metal and it should ring nicely. If not, then you've got pockets.

BTW -- nice looking blade!

:) :)

Now, if I can just get over my handle attaching phobia. By the way, as much as I love grinding blades, I love playing with damascus more. You get so messy and dirty, it's cool. :)

Hey, good job Danbo!

You WILL be posting more pix when it's done,

Won't you?

Russ

Yep, it sure looks like a keeper! I wanna see it when it is done, also. I didn't notice anything wrong with it, and your grinds look good, too.What are you considering for a handle and furniture?

Looks good from what I can see. Love the pattern. I don't see an inclusion in the photo. Not saying it's not there, I just don't see it. You'll have to be the judge of whether or not to finish and put your name on it.

I'm considering a Pukko style of handle out of some nice stabilized wood and a simple mokume or bronze(maybe nickel silver) disc. Finger guard would be simply ground into the handle, like on the Rapala fillet knife handles or like this picture.

Back