Most amazing old how-to book covers Everything

Well not Everything......but this is a real treasure.

What amazing resources can be found on the web,
when they can be found.

What an age---when a person really could know almost everything anyone else knew about the world.

RE our most specific interests here:
Traditional adhesives and cements of all types at:
http://www.cairns.net.au/~sharefin/Cyclopedia/cements.html

Online book from either:
http://www.cairns.net.au/~sharefin/Cyclopedia/indx_a.html or
http://www.cairns.net.au/~sharefin/Cyclopedia/contents.html
From the book's Preface:
"In truth, the present volume has been compiled under the feeling, that if all other books of Science in the world were destroyed, this single volume would be found to embody the results of the useful experience, observations, and discoveries of mankind during the past ages of the world."

Website preface/intro:
" One day while wandering through the Saturday markets in Glebe, Sydney, I spotted an interesting book on one of the stalls. Bound in decaying leather, with loose pages spilling from within, and "The Household Cyclopedia" in faded gold on the frayed spine. The text inside was small, but quite legible. The pages where only slightly splotched with stains. It was only $10. I paid.
What a bargain! It was soon evident that this was no ordinary book. It was the sort of book a pioneer of the old west would have packed carefully into his covered wagon before heading off for a boondock town. It was a book for people who need to be able, if the circumstances demand, to amputate a limb, grow their own fibre for material, take care of their horses, give birth to children, and build houses, concoct medicines, all with the minimum of help from others. "

I would love a hard copy of that book to put in my Bug Out Bag. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by Bobwhite
I would love a hard copy of that book
Print it.
I downloaded the whole site to disk to store somewhere safe.

I downloaded the whole site to disk to store somewhere safe.

Well done, and just in time, it seems...

I get the following for all three links:

"Oopsies, looks like the document you were looking for has either been removed, or has come under attack from the marauding space
monkeys.

Please check that the document is spelt correctly, and if still missing, please notify the referring site you have just come from.

Possible reasons:
The address you entered may be misspelt
A typographical error with dots or slashes
The page may no longer exist
The page may have been renamed or moved to a new location" :(

Strangely enough, an appropriate title transiently appears at the top of the browser window before the missing document title.

Originally posted by firkin ....... Oopsies, looks like the document you were looking for has either been removed
Hmmmmmm.
All three links still work for me (not the local pages I saved).
Maybe it was a momentary glitch.

Well, still no joy at this end.

Maybe it's because I'm using an older version of Netscape...dunno.

ddean, what is the title of the book, please? I may know where you can obtain an copy at a used book price :)

Books purporting to reveal secret manufacturing methods and formulas were very popular in the late 1800's. Authors would recommend everything from doutful medical treatments to mixing potentially lethal concoctions. But at the same time these books contains a wealth of information on basic industrial practices ranging from how to make your own lime to the various ways to treat metals to achieve desired surface effects.
A wealth of info can be gleaned from these books but all advice should be taken with a grain of salt.
The book i have "Lee's Priceless Recipes" was written in 1895. It describes what was done in accordance with the knowledge of the day.
On the medical side some of the proposed treatments would not only be considered inadequate today, but considered potentially harmful.
It's amazing what is in these books. How to make gunpowder, dynamite,nitro !! How to smoke meats, store veggies, make candies, maple syrup,ginger beer, ale, wine...
I have an original 1895 book and a copy of the same book put out by Lee Valley WWW.leevalley.com

B the C:

Could be "The Household Cyclopedia"

That appears before I get the error message.

Guess I need to call an exterminator for the d*amn space monkeys.

Dean's link worked for me okay..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FOR DETAILS, SEE INDEX, AT CLOSE OF THE VOLUME.]

About This Site.

PREFACE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AGRICULTURE
MANURE
WHEAT
DRAINAGE
SUGAR
COTTON AND TOBACCO
SILK-WORM
HORTICULTURE
BUDDING AND GRAFTING
FRUIT
INSECTS AND DISEASES OF TREES
KEEPING FRUIT
FLOWER GARDENING

RURAL AND DOMESTIC ECONOMY
DAIRY WORK
MANAGEMENT OF BEES

FARRIERY
DISEASES OF HORSES
"DOGS
"HOGS
"SHEEP
"CATTLE

MEDICINE
DISEASES
CHOLERA
ACCIDENTS
WOUNDS
FRACTURES
DISLOCATIONS
AMPUTATIONS
DROWNING
POISONS
MEDICINES
DISEASES OF FEMALES
DISEASES OF CHILDREN
DOMESTIC MEDICINES
HYGIENE
RULES FOR HEALTH
TEETH

CULINARY ARTS
PLAIN COOKERY
COOKERY
CONFECTIONERY
PlCKLING
CARVING
FOOD

BREWING
CIDER
WINES

DISTILLATION
ESSENTIAL OILS
WATERS
VINEGAR
ARTIFICIAL WATERS
FIXED OILS
ANIMAL OILS

PERFUMERY

BLEACHING AND SCOURING

DYEING
STAINING

PAINTS AND COLORS
VARNISHES
LACQUERS

CEMENTS
GLUE

INKS

METALLURGY
ASSAYING
PARTING
ALLOYS
FOILS
ELECTRO-PLATING
GILDING
IRON AND STEEL

PYROTECHNY
MATCHES

TANNING

ENAMELLING

POTTERY

GLASS

PHOTOGRAPHY
PHOTOLITHOGRAPHY

ENGRAVING
LITHOGRAPHY

WEIGHTS AND MEASURES
SPECIFIC GRAVITY
GAS METERS
VALUE OF COINS

CHEMICAL RECIEPTS
BOILER ENCRUSTATIONS
ARTIFICIAL COLD
ANTISEPTICS AND DISINFECTANTS

WEATHER PROGNOSTICS

ANGLING
PISCICULTURE

MISCELLANEOUS
TO TIE KNOTS
KNITTING
CANARY BIRDS
DOGS
INSECTS
PETROLEUM
ELECTRIC TELEGRAPH
BOOK-KEEPING
PROOF-READING
ROWING
DOMESTIC RECEIPTS
MEDICAL RECEIPTS
DIALYSIS
HORSEMANSHIP
DECALCOMANIA
GUNPOWDER
FARM SEED

IMPLEMENTS OF AGRICULTURE

Q W E R T Y U I O P
A S D F G H J K L
Z X C V B N M

ILLUSTRATIONS
HORTICULTURE
RURAL AND DOMESTIC ECONOMY
MANAGEMENT OF BEES
FARRIERY
MEDICINE
ELECTRICITY
FISHES
MILITARY
METALLURGY
MISCELLANEOUS
PLANTS

I remember that about in 1996-98, I saw a book very similar to this at Powell's Book store in Portland, OR.. It thoroughly amazed me. Recipes, methods and tricks for everything!

Although ddean's links still don't work for me :(, Firkin's did :)

Did a search for the title/keywords and found these similar books. Shappa, you were absolutely right about the epoch when they were written. Please note the title "THE AMERICAN CYCLOPEDIA OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE AND
HOUSEHOLD SURGERY" :D

"Was that one of John Powell's string of bookstores?"

Not sure Uncle Bill? Powell's Book store is a landmark in Portland and probably the largest and best bookstore I've ever haunted. Very comfortable to browse and peruse for hours on end.

...Hey JP, you own that one sir ???

Great book! Thanks. I have a few old books of this nature. They are fun but I advise caution and careful thought before following some of the recipies. We are generally a little more concerned about toxic materials, explosives, etc. than we were in the old days.

Powells is a giant bookstore in Portland. It covers a whole city block. They have both new and used books together on the shelves. I used to spend a lot of time there during my college days, and I still visit when I go through Portland. They've expanded and now have stores in other locations also. They're also on the web and can be a good source for hard-to-find books. I'm not sure if the bookstore is part of John's multinational conglomerate or not. The coincidence of the names does seem a little suspicious, does it not?

Mr. TheCat,

Although ddean's links still don't work for me , Firkin's did

What browser are you using (Netscape 4.77/Mac here)? The whole cover page is a link to the table of contents, but of course it just sent me back to the space monkeys. And I had a Geocities document load up halfway, then dump me into a similar error page that informed me that what I had just seen did not exist.

Seems like my browser can't handle some of the new "features" that these hosting sites spew at it...

Nice search results BTW.

Powell's Books...Seems that was the name of a most impressive bookstore matching Howard'd description on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley. If that store is/was in the JP empire, I bought several khuks worth of used art books there many years ago.

I finally got the book index but as soon as I clicked one of the subjects I got that oops message again. I don't know whether it is netscape or not. I down loaded an upgrade just a short time back. I tried using Netscape 6 and had nothing but problems with it and went back to Communicator 4.75. I may have to start using the new stuff I got from SWbell-Yahoo.

Howard makes a good point. Using lead for a temporary tooth filling is probably not the best choice of material.

Back