Most Innovative Multi-Tool Features

I started to post this under the other "Most Innovative Multi-Tool Company" thread, but decided it's different enough to justify its own.

What multi-tool features do you consider to be the most innovative?

There are two obvious classics:

1) The concept of building tools, not just blades, into a multi-bladed pocket knife.

2) Folding pliers.

Personally, I considered it a stroke of genius when I first saw a plier-type multi-tool with the fold-out tools on the outside of the handles. It makes them more accessible while, at the same time, allowing for a more comfortable plier grip. It still puzzles me that anyone persists in putting them on the inside (including my favorite, the SOG PowerLock).

So what feature has impressed you the most?

--Bob Q

I really like having the tools on the outside of the handle too. One of my favorite innovations has to be the individual backsprings on the swisstool, not only does it stop the tools from clumping but it just goes to show their attention to detail.

For me it has to be the Schrade Company and their adjustable pliers on the ST5E multi-tool. There are a number of repairs that the ST5E can do that regular multi-tool pliers can't. My second vote would go to Gerber for their ability to install different types of saw blades and being able to rotate the cutting blades on the pliers/wire cutters. :)

For me, the real selling point of the original multitools was the dedicated screwdrivers, with sharp, crisply ground tips and enough length to get at slightly recessed screws. This was a useful step up over the combo screwdriver/can opener/bottle opener arrangement with rounded tips that the SAKs had. Also, the addition of needlenose pliers and a decent wire cutter made a big difference for some uses.

Most innovative:

The Gerber pliers that slide out the front with just a flick-of-the-wrist.
(BTW, I like that Gerber's tools are on the inside of the handles--that way the handles don't bite in to your hands like my Leatherman PST and SOG Power-Pliers does).
Gerber also has the saw adapter, spring-loaded pliers on the Legend, and exchangable plier heads on one model.

Wenger makes some models with small slip-joint pliers. And Wengers scissor springs are the best.

The gears on the SOGs certainly qualify as innovative.

The Spyderco Spyder-Wrench is totally innovative looking, but I've never held one.

Allen.

What matches said!

Now, if my SOG PowerLock had the carbide inserts, and the Rem-Grit saw blade, it would be perfect!

CODE 3 said:
What matches said!

Now, if my SOG PowerLock had the carbide inserts, and the Rem-Grit saw blade, it would be perfect!

I would love to see that too, but I'd still rather have the tools on the outside where they belong! :)

allenC said:
Most innovative:

The Gerber pliers that slide out the front with just a flick-of-the-wrist.

I agree 100%!!!! Even thou I really like my LM, I being able to open the gerber pliers with one hand.

Back