Motor and vfd problems

i just got a new grinder set up (reeder) that came with a leeson 2hp motor and a kbac vfd. I wired everything this morning going off the supplied wiring diagrams and the video on the reeder products website. I’m running it on 110v so the motor is actually a 1 1/2 hp. I plugged it in to my garage outlet and turned the power on and everything was fine. As soon as I move the vfd switch the the start position it trips the breaker in the outlet. If I have the speed control set on 0 it doesn’t trip, but as soon as I turn it up it trips again.

I’ve tried several outlets and the same thing happens. The motor has two thermostat leads that aren’t mentioned in the diagrams or the video I watched. Could these have something to do with the issue?

Does it sound like I wired something incorrectly or am I just overloading the breakers in the outlets?

If its 1.5hp it should be well within the capacity of a normal 15A breaker. I would disconnect the motor and start again with no load and see what happens.

Haha if I ever get the opportunity to meet you in person I will try to make good on it. But maybe just a drink and not an entire bottle. I haven’t made a million bucks selling knives yet haha.

Garages and kitchens are supposed to have GFI circuits due to water hazards. Obviously for kitchens it is the sink, i guess for garages it is rain water leaking in if if it poorly designed. Pretty sure code requires GFI in garages nationwide but not really sure what the risks are if you change this. Insurance or liability issues??

Garages and kitchens are supposed to have GFI circuits due to water hazards. Obviously for kitchens it is the sink, i guess for garages it is rain water leaking in if if it poorly designed. Pretty sure code requires GFI in garages nationwide but not really sure what the risks are if you change this. Insurance or liability issues??

If you read the electrical code, I think you will find exemptions on dedicated circuits for certain things.

Plus, I believe the electrical code applies to new construction and new updates - It's not retroactive.

Here in the midwest, garage floors get pretty wet from rain and/or snow dripping and melting from the cars. Combine that with the concrete floor, and if you have a faulty circuit somewhere, or one of your power tools get wet, you're in for a pretty serious shock/electrocution hazard.

A lot of garages around here even have water taps on at least one of the walls, if not connections for a washer and/or dryer as well.

All that said, my garage is one of the few areas around my house that does NOT have a GFI anywhere, though it was built before that requirement was in the NEC.

You don't have to disable all the GFI outlets. Only change the one for the grinder. If you are a worrier, put a sign over the outlet saying, "Non-GFI"

In Ontario Canada they have started requiring arc fault circuit breakers. Any kind of motor that creates and arc will trip them. Worst thing ever. Some guys I know who have done renos have waited for the final inspection and then changed out all their breakers to the older kind.

Wow! What if your hobby is making Tesla coils and playing them like a symphony?

Just hosed I guess...

Back