movies

i know this is not the main thrust of this forum, but over in the bali forum, there is a list of movies w/ balisongs in them. now, lots of movies have swords in them, but what movies have GOOD sword footage in them?

"Blind Fury" starring Rutger Hauer has some great footage. It's actually based on one of the Zatoichi movies, which are also a lot of fun. Totally unrealistic! But a lot of fun to watch.

Highlander, of course.
The Duelists, same two guys go at each other every couple of years, but each time with a different style sword. One time it's rapiers, one time small swords, etc.
LadyHawke, another film starring Rutger Hauer, the duel at the end is especially good.
Red Sun, staring Charles Bronsen and Toshiro Mifune, actually doesn't have a lot of sword fights, but you get to see Mr. Mifune use his sword in some very basic creative ways. It's kind of cool to know that someone was creative enough to use a katana in a film to do something else besides kill people.
Seven Samurai: Excellent film, with some amazing sword fights. Especially those involving Kyuzo (I believe that's his name) the one involved in the duel.

MMMMMmmmmmm I'll think of some more.......

"Sanjuro" has some awesome scenes, particuliarly the final duel, classic iaijutsu.

"The Hunted" is one of the best, the bullet train fight was superb.

Most movies with western sword fighting just sucks. Just two guys banging their swords together. "Highlander" the TV series had far superior choreography than the movies. The duel in "The Princess Bride" was a lot of fun to watch, and matched perfectly with the theme of the movie.

Six-stringed Samurai

Shogun Assassin -Kurosawa

Blade, Blade II

13th Warrior - more all around fighting than just sword fighting, but pretty good nonetheless. (Based on Creighton's book "Eaters of the Dead.")

All of the above movies are good sword-romps, but I would caution one that movie sword fights take place so that neither fighter is actually within striking range. Touching your opponent's sword with yours in not engagement range for swords, thus no on will actually get hurt.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

"The Hunted" is one of the best, the bullet train fight was superb.
Yes I liked the train fights. Realestic!:) (can't spell)
I really liked the movie "Seven Samurai" was one good movie.:)

Just bought the "Seven Samurai" DVD (was on sale for $10 in a local store). What a great movie, absolutely cool sword fighting scenes.

What Flava said.., great film...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Heaven and Earth (not the vietnam movie) Great movie about culture as well as swords. I taped it a long time ago from cable.

Reagan

the best sword duel i've seen in the movies was the one between tim roth and liam neeson in "rob roy".

"BONES"

did anyone see the horror movie bones with snoop dog
and what kind of bali does he use in it

Back