Moving away from folders towards fixed blades

Back and forth for years has been my routine. I always carry a folder - mostly the Spyderco Autonomy 2 and a fixed blade too for outings but my fixed blade has settled in the 3-1/2" length recently. No real small ones in the group. Will likely flip flop again soon. There are so many excellent small blades and they are so very useful. :) Enjoy G2.

Small fixed blades are appealing, but the convenience of one-handed folders for typical every day carry is just too great. I don’t like dealing with sheaths when I can just fold it up and slip it in the pocket. Maybe if my work kept me outside more I’d feel differently, idk.

On the occasions that I do go with a fixed blade just for fun, it is usually my modified BK-11.

Old pic, but I’m not likely to take a better one, so:
0-E406-B7-D-D7-EB-41-C8-AFBF-999-A7138-E8-AD.jpg

Last edited:

Moving away from folders towards fixed blades​

Yep, done that. Now it's like - I'll trade these 3 pocket fixed blades for one so and so new one. That is a tough sell.

P.S. Let me know if you want to lose the Pterodactyl.

Went that way years ago. To me, if I need a small cutter, I just carry a small penknife size slip joint like a Case peanut that served me for years, of my SAK classic. If I needed more knife, then I go to my Buck 102 woodsman or my Martini Finish puuko. Both are light and easy to carry, but I'll also stoop to carrying my old Buck Hartsook in its sheath in a side pocket. The sheath is secured with a lanyard to the belt loop just outside the pocket, so when I pull the knife out, the sheath disengages and hangs there right outside the pocket. Done cutting, slip knife back in sheath and slide back in pocket. The small pocket fixed blade is easier to keep clean, and no lock to worry about if I have to lean on it a little bit.

I don't even own any knife with a lock, just a few small slip joints and a few fixed blades.

Sorry I've been a non-participant for so long, I've had health issues.

I have two problems (really the same problem) with fixed blades - how to conceal one big enough to be useful to me, and two, how to draw it from a pocket without slicing my pocket edge to pieces. I could use some experienced advice.

Again, still having health issues so I might not get back to you quick.

you need to look at horizontal belt sheaths - they are excellent to avoid your pocket slicing habit ; )
Horsewright Horsewright imho makes some of the best ones

I carry these along with my normal pocket knife. BPS Compact, a GL Drew Wharnie, Blasted Hill sheepsfoot and the new Cahoon that still needs to be properly broken in. Lately it's been the Blasted Hill one.

The next small fixed blade might be one of them DM river hawks. I dunno ... they are pretty sweet looking.

I realize I've had way to much coffee and so to summarize I love both.

Mental dump below

I've gone back and forth and now I like to keep both on hand. I'm trying to stop buying so many knives and dial in the ones that I will actually use. Most of my fixed blades that I will actually carry seem to come from David Mary David Mary the value is great and he's tailored them to my needs. The only 3 he hasn't replaced (that I'll regularly carry) have been my Grohmann Canadian belt knives, Lt Wright northern hunter, and my Skrama 240. Having said that I'd love to add a REK Knives REK Knives ember and one from Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer . And not to take away from any of the other amazing makers we have here, I'm seen plenty I wish I had the budget for.

I find i like to carry my fixed blades horizontal and EDC fixed blades 8" or shorter overall. My DM riverhawk has been a staple for me and takes 80% of my daily fixed blade time. With 10% going to the speed weasel and 10% going to everything else.

My folders I've got narrowed down to 10 or so in my actual rotation. But my pocket time usually is split in no particular order

Spyderco Kapara
Benchmade turret
Demko ad20.5 Sharksfoot
Kershaw livewire Tanto
Protech TR-3

Time off at home carry is 90% kapara, 5% dragonfly 2, 5% everything else.

I’ve been eyeing those Tactical Pterodactyls for a while. Really nice knives 👍

Small fixed blades have been my primary carry for the past four years. The Spyderco ARK converted me to fixed blades and neck carry for edc, still my favorite. I’ll carry my other folders for fun or specific/dedicated jobs, but the little fixed blades are my everyday users.

Nyhd2UC.jpeg

JClf5ud.jpeg

EmjQfD6.jpg

Ya know something? I guess it all depends on where you are and what you're needing. In the "urban/citified" environment, a folder is probably all you need. Way out Yonder, though, something more assertive is probably required.

Different situations, different needs. Different needs, different knives. And, as syndicated radio humorist Red Neckerson always said, "That's my opinion -- oughta be yours!" :D ;) :D :D

I have settled on a 3ish inch fixed carried horizontally in front of my left hip right hand crossdraw left hand ice pick grip on the drawl

I have carried this way for so long drawing with either hand has become second nature

I have a lot in this size category

Last edited:
I sometimes carry a small fixed blade from Horsewright, REK or David Mary in my right front pocket, along with my Shootout in the left front and some kind of folder in the right back pocket. But I do tend to rotate between fixed and folding, depending on my mood or what I'll be doing that day.

I do have a couple of Tactical Pterodactyl Medium Harpoon Raptor in Magnacut on the way too - was supposed to arrive today but got held up in the local postal distribution center. So, now expected Monday. The Mid-Size are still small at about about 6" long with about a 2.5" blade.

I am receiving these two Monday - one dark acid washed with marbled black/grey scales, and one stone washed with black scales.

bzRPfnC.jpeg

PKjpgsj.jpeg

Made this one to be my every day carry.

DSC_3659-L.jpg

4” blade in Crucible CPM-Magnacut. Tang has been skeletonized as well as tapered under the wenge scales. Even with a full-sized feeling handle, it weighs less than 4 ounces.
That's very elegant Matthew Gregory Matthew Gregory I'll have to check that out next time I am up your way!

Here's another smallish fixed blade that I wear as a neck knife as it is quite light and very thin, blade is 440C and takes a very good edge. The handle scales are purple micarta also very thin so I applied some handle tape just above the line of the kydex sheath and that provides an adequate gripping surface, changed the way the knife handles a great deal better, for me at least. Made by Joe Calton Joe Calton

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Super grippy and very sticky adhesive so it doesn't move once applied, they use it more for gun grips I think

G2

The last few years I have gravitated to smaller fixed blades but have not really tried horizontal carry to see if it could be for EDC. Duck Childress knives is what got me into smaller fixies.

horizontal carry
I recently got a Bradford sheepsfoot that came with a horizontal sheath and it is the first time I've had one.

My opinion (which usually isn't even worth the 2¢)

If you wanted to totally conceal a knife it would be a good option, but I don't care if it's concealed so that point didn't matter. It was uncomfortable and there are only a couple places it can go on the belt where it's not obviously sticking out. Drawing the knife was very easy and quick, but sheathing the knife was hilariously awkward.

Overall I'll stick with vertical right hand carry and will modify the sheath soon whenever I get a chance.

Back