Mr. Glesser - a Wharncliffe?

RLR

As you can see from the post "A poll - participation encouraged" there is interest in the Wharncliffe blade style (not a Centofante spear style, but the true Wharncliffe). What a perfect gent's knife that would be, from a perfect company to produce it... I know that ideas and suggestions are a dime a dozen, but I thought this was worth the time, esp. seeing the response. They either love it or hate it, and that's usually good from a marketing standpoint.

You'll have a bunch sold the first day...

------------------
Humbly,

RLR

[This message has been edited by RLR (edited 02-17-2000).]

Hi RLR,

I'm with ya!

I love wharncliffes.

Later,
John

------------------
Absentem qui rodit amicum, qui non defendit alio culpante, solutos qui captat risus homimum famamque dicacis, fingere qui non visa potest, commissa tacere qui nequit: hic niger est, hung tu, lamnia lammina lamna forumites, caveto!

I concur, how about a collaboration with Brian Tighe...his Wharncliffe bladed Pinnacle is fantastic.

How about a frame-lock (a.k.a. integral) Wharncliffe, for one fine folding paring knife?

And there's nothing wrong with the Centofante C25 profile, IMHO.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but I must admit that I have no interest in seeing a Wharncliffe Spyderco. I didn't respond to the first thread regarding this precisely because of my lack of interest.

I don't want to see a Wharncliffe point on a Spyderco because:
  1. I generally don't like Wharncliffe points. The knife looks "upside down" to me. Why not use a tad of belly for a different edge angle?
  2. Non-custom collaboration Spydercos have a similar distinctive blade geometry. You want to be careful not to deviate from this uniform look. For instance; you're not going to see a non-collaboration tanto point Spydie. It just wouldn't fit.
  3. This "look" that's common to most Spydercos is actually very close to a Wharncliffe anyways. Most Spydercos have a low point and little belly. I'd call stuff like the Delica and Calypso a modified Wharncliffe.
    [/list=a]

What about a custom-collaboration Wharncliffe? That certainly makes more sense to me. I personally wouldn't buy one, but I could see it's appeal. Its appeal would be limited though, so you might want to try to spice it up with fancy stuff. If you're going to make a real gent's folder, you might as well go all out and look at something in the $250 price range.

Just my 2% of $1.
    wink.gif

You guys have it right!

a) agree - nothing wrong with the Centofante at all, it's not a Wharncliffe though (I see it as a spearpoint). I was just clarifying.

b) BRIAN TIGHE! BRIAN TIGHE! BRIAN TIGHE! Not just because he has gorgeous designs, not just because he's a master of finish, not just because he's from Canada...

edit: I hate spelling!

[This message has been edited by RLR (edited 02-18-2000).]

RLR - thanx for the inquiry & the poll. However, producing a new design is quite expensive and must surely put another model behind (due to limited production capacity). We already have at least 5 new models waiting for production now. There are no wharncliffes among them. Sorry.

sal

Always responding to every post... Mr. Glesser, you show the true integrity of your company!

I appreciate you taking the time to read and, to be sure, years down the line when a Wharncliffe appears in the Spyderco line, I'll be the first to buy.

I'm nothing if not patient (sometimes...)

I don't expect Spyderco to make a Wharncliffe any time soon, but you may add my name to the list of people who would probably buy one.

Point penetration for scoring cuts, and super easy sharpening are two important advantages of a dropped point blade with a non-curved edge.

Please make mine with a relatively straight handle, and a reasonably thin blade flat ground all the way to the spine, no longer than 3" in length.

G-10 or Micarta will be fine.

Thanks for listening.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

Back