MSRP Disparity Between C07 and C10

Can anyone explain to me why the Stainless Endura (MSRP $134.95) and the Stainless Police (MSRP $189.95) have a $55 difference in the MSRPs? These two knives use virtual the same amount of the same materials. The police is a little longer, but also a little slimmer than the Endura. This is not a complaint, but a question bourne of genuine curiosity. Is there some extra finishing of the Police that I'm not noticing (I see the swedge, but no other major differences)? Does the Endura sell in a larger quantity to bring the price down? Is the Endura sold at a lower profit margin so they didn't have to raise the price as much when they switched from AUS-6 to VG-10 of the SS version back in 2006? Or are the MSRPs for them more arbitrary than I'm imaging so that the manufacturing and materials cost is less impactful that I'm thinking?

I'll put my oar in and say the price relates to economy of scale.

The Police seems like a model with low sales kept in production more out of sentimental value than normal business practice.

There's nothing wrong with that; but if if they don't sell many then the price goes up.

Back