Mt Medallion!

Just got my Medallion. It's awesome! I really like this knife. It's made from one piece of 154-CM. It is 5.5" OAL with a 2.5" blade (drop point with a bit of recurve). Mine came shaving sharp. The handle is skeletonized, with six cut-outs. There are thumb grooves on top, plus grooves in the finger guard and on top and bottom in the rear of the handle. The handle is made for three fingers, but the paracord fob (came attached) gives your pinky something to hold onto. The deep guard, grooves and fob all come together to insure a secure grip.

I have mixed feelings about the sheath (not sure if it's Kydex...seems sturdier/heavier). For sheer versatility, it's outstanding! It can obviously be worn as a neck knife, but it also comes with a very well designed belt carry option. The clip can be installed for left side, right side, horizontal (strong side or crossdraw), blade up or down. The clip has a snap open design, that allows it to be attached without having to thread your belt through the loops. Just open it, slip it under your belt and snap it shut. The only thing that I don't like, is the way the knife is withdrawn. It is designed to be removed by tilting the whole knife forward, which causes the sheath to part slightly to release the knife. Even though I'm sure that a sharp yank would release the knife (esp. in an emergency), it does seem a bit awkward and is difficult to release with one hand, when worn around the neck. With the sheath secured on a belt, withdrawl is much easier, as long as you don't wear it too far forward. Because of the need to rock the knife forward, wearing it over the kidney is the most comfortable for me. Maybe after I play with it for a while, I'll like it more. Overall, I give the knife an A++. And the sheath.......the jury is still out on that one. You can carry it anywhere you'd like, it's just getting it into your hand where things get funky.
Oh yeah, I also got "The Spike" from Cold Steel. Great knife! How'd they get a blade that thick, so sharp? Wicked little piece of defensive tackle. While it is more geared towards stabbing/thrusting, I'm sure it would deliver serious cuts/slashes. Anyone know what steel it's made of? Thanks.

RR

please see my comments in the blade discussion forum about the medallion....thanks....feverdoc

Thanks feverdoc. Looks like we share some of the same opinions about this one. I'll take your experience into account and give the sheath a good workout, over the next few days. I hope I can come to grips (pun intended) with it.

The plastidip sounds like a good idea. Please be sure to let us know how it works out. I have the SW/PE too and I really like the looks of it. Thanks again.

RR

Back