Mulligan

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Well, this knife is a mulligan. Its handle was too thin, and was no fun to use during testing. This first pic is after handle filing, but before any handle finishing, or blade finishing.

shop100_2899-vi.jpg

There were two in the batch. Here they are together.

fiddleC9-vi.jpg

The Shadetree burlap knife had a much thicker, and more comfortable handle. After a few minutes I could tell the thinner handle wasn't going to make it.

Chopping on an oak stick from the woodpile.

fiddleA9-vi.jpg

fiddleB6-vi.jpg

Batonning on same stick.

fiddleB9-vi.jpg

fiddleC6-vi.jpg

The blades performed well, but the EIRW handle was not comfortable. It was too thin, and hurt my pinky when I chopped. Uncomfortable handle, and hurt hands don't really work here at Fiddleback Forge, so I called a Mulligan and started over on the handle.

sept10100_2912-vi.jpg

sept10100_2914-vi.jpg

Fortunately, the red one turned out kinda good.

sept10100_2967-vi.jpg

sept10100_2968-vi.jpg

Holly Crap!! That is beautiful bro! I think I just fell in love...but I'm almost affraid to ask how much these go for.

That's unfortunate, but oh well, if it takes a few mistakes to get the design perfect, you shouldn't feel bad about that at all. Red one looks great by the way.

Its all glued up now with thicker EIRW over a full eighth of micarta liner. Its gonna be kewl.

The base price for this knife is $400.

Fortunately, the red one turned out kinda good.

sept10100_2967-vi.jpg

sept10100_2968-vi.jpg

Kinda good? This thread could lead to a key board malfunction...I hear drooling is bad for key boards....I better go away now...

Last edited:
Back