Multi-tool in the car?

I've heard several times that people will buy a multi-tool to keep in their trunk or glove box in case they have car trouble.

I'm curious as to why they would do this, when the cost of a quality full size multi-tool (roughly 60-70 bucks) will buy you a nice set of Craftsman tools and a toolbox.

Things like the Swisstool or Powerlock are very useful, but even in the best of cases can't really compare to a set of purpose-built tools for efficiency or durability.

The main benefit of multi-tools are that they are small and light, and therefore considerably easier to carry than a toolbox. Unless you have an extremely small car or motorcycle, the size difference shouldn't be much of an issue.

So what is the advantage of keeping a multi-tool around just for car duty?

I keep both in the car. If I have to get out to do something I may not want to carry the full tool box. I usually keep either a Pwerlock or a SwissTool in the car but because of the weight I typically don't carry it on my belt unless I know I'm going to need it.

I think multi-tools are great for travelling. When staying in a hotel somewhere, it's always nice to have some kind of tool for the little things that might happen. that, and a small flashlight are must-haves when away from home.

I have a 100pc set in my trunk, I carry a LM Crunch on me, and have a POS multi in my glovebox...

can never have too many tools in a car. I also have the repair manual in my trunk.

I have a small car with very little storage space, so I have no room for a tool chest. To be honest, my Z doesn’t even have any cup holders. In my glove box is a Gold TiNi PowerLock. But I don’t know why...for I’m grossly mechanically challenged.

So what function does the PowerLock serve in my car? Years ago, before I purchased the Z, a couple of previous multitools were used as roadside mechanic aid incentives (that’s a fancy way of saying the multitools were used as “thank you gifts” to kind souls who stopped to help fix my car when it was broken down on the side of the road).

As you can see, for me, a multitool in my car is quite essential! :)

Unfortunately, all of the above is 100% true! Well, I take that back. There is nothing “unfortunate” about owning a 300ZX! :)

I dunno...maybe a nice serrated folder in the glovebox or other compartment in the cabin for seatbelt cutting after those wipeouts? :)

You're probably right. I have a few odds and ends in a tool bag in the trunk, but I tend to think of them as supplements to the Leatherman, not the other way around.

Mike

It all depends on what you intend it for.
Are you thinking of tools for repairing the car, or tools for general use? Maybe even using inside the car?

I keep jumper cables in my trunk. Never seen those on a multi-tool. :)

I'm curious as to why they would do this, when the cost of a quality full size multi-tool (roughly 60-70 bucks) will buy you a nice set of Craftsman tools and a toolbox.

Me too!

I got a very nice set of Craftsman tools last Christmas from my mother and I have been carrying it in the trunk lately just in case. It is ultra compact - it is about the size of a standard car stereo head unit. I think it would be INFINITELY more useful than any multitool for working on a car! I work on a lot of cars and I think I have used a multitool maybe once - I used the knife blade to cut the end off of a radiator hose. I used the sockets and screwdriver from my tool set to put it on.

I really think a multitool is better for situations when you just don't have anything else with you. I mean, if you have real tools, will you use the multitool? Heck no! My leatherman comes in handy when I go fishing, to tighten up some loose bolts on the kids' bicycles, opening cans & bottles, zeroing in my scope at the range, etc., but for the big and tough jobs (especially working on cars), I think multitools are of limited use. A multitool is nice to have when you just can't lug the toolbox.

Geez. If I ever get out to WA or Ron ever gets out to Maryland, I'm probably going to plow into someone because I'll be so busy looking for a hood-up Nissan on the side of the road.

How much wrenching are you gonna do roadside anyway? Especially these days where a car's engine centers around a computerized control system. Unless you're packin' along one of those scanning computers and all the manuals, you wouldn't know where to start? And unless you're carrying a NAPA store in the trunk, you're not gonna have parts anyway.

If you're car like most these days has one of these serpintine uni-belts, you can, for about $50, carry a spare belt. It's very small and very light-weight and will probably back in and around the spare tire. And the belt is easy to change on most cars if you know the pattern which is often printed on a label inside the hood. If not, photocopy the diagram out of the owner's manual and stash it with the belt.

I suppose you could carry a spark plug for some cars and replace one of those. But what are the chances of a plug going bad? Well, I should talk. My car had a plug replaced a few months ago. But a spare plug for my car would cost $350 and it's not exactly something you can change in the field anymore. $350! for a spark plug!?! Yup. Fortunately, mine was well within its 150,000 mile warranty. On my car, the whole ignition electronics, the coil, condenser, etc., are now integrated into the spark plug as one assembly which elliminated the spark plug cable. I have, over the years, replaced more spark plug cables than spark plugs. And these new plugs are supposed to go 150,000 miles. So, so much for carrying a spare spark plug.

You can top off fluids in the field. If you suddenly come up a bit short on coolant, probably a slow leak somewhere, maybe a cracked water pump, you would top it off enough to keep driving until you can deal with the problem. But you don't need much along the line of tools to top of fluids in most cars.

Several years ago, when I was still driving my old Olds, the charging idiot light came on. The charging system in this car was basically all integrated into the "generator" assembly. The diodes, the regulator, everything was in that one assembly. And there it was, right on the top of the engine. Held on by just three bolts. Two cables connecting to it. I can do this myself! So, I went to the parts store and bought me a part. I got home, took the belt off, disconnected those two wires, removed them three screws, and the danged thing would not come off. I got to lookin' and sure enough, there was a fourth screw underneath. No way you could get to it. You'd have to take off this whole bracket with all sorts of stuff attached to it. So, I put back the three screws, reconnected the two wires, put back the belt, and drove to the dealer. As I got out of the car with my part in hand, the service manager smiled knowingly, "Generator, eh? Tried to do it yourself did ya? We see a couple of these cases per month. Have a seat in the waiting room, this takes about 45 minutes."

"Ok, but how do you get that thing out? Just tell me. I'm curious."

"The GM Manual calls for removing this here bracket. But look at everything you'd have to disconnect. That's the AC Compressor there. And that's the steering pump there. The GM guidelines say this job takes five hours."

"How do you do it in 45 minutes?"

"We remove the front two engine mounts and use an engine hoist to tip the engine up so we can reach underneath. Don't worry, we'll only charge you for 45 minutes of labor."

"Go, go... get tipping."

So, unless you're carrying an engine hoist in your tool kit, you can't even replace the generator, three -- no four -- bolts and two wires, in the field.

You could patch a hose that's sprung a leak. I did one of those myself not to long ago. But all you need for that is a towel and some Windex (tm) to clean the hose off so that the tape will stick, and then a roll of hose tape.

So, the question now becomes: Why should I haul around a hundred-piece mechanic's tool set that weighs 30 pounds, when I'm really not gonna be able to do a whole lot of major repair work in the field anyway?

So, the question now becomes: Why should I haul around a hundred-piece mechanic's tool set that weighs 30 pounds, when I'm really not gonna be able to do a whole lot of major repair work in the field anyway?

I carry around a 62 piece Craftsman tool kit that weighs 6 pounds (I just weighed it!) and I've used it a lot. It's so compact, you could almost fit it in the glovebox.

My alternator went out on me about 10 miles from town once. I had my brother and a friend in the car, and they were mad because they thought our fishing trip was ruined. I walked into town and bought the part, got a ride back to my car from a helpful cashier there and put it in. I just saved: $50 for towing, $50 for labor (if you're lucky!), and I didn't even have to cancel my fishing trip waiting for my car to be fixed. We just rolled right on through town and straight to the lake. A multitool would not have helped.

My car has 2 belts. I carry 2 spare belts in the spare tire well, plus an extra radiator hose because in my experience, if you are going to get stranded on the road somewhere, 9 times out of 10 it will be by a belt or a hose (and you can't always just seal the leak or cut the end off and move it up). I also carry a small cheesy set of jumper cables I got at a dollar store (they have saved me and others a few long walks) and the chilton manual for my car in there. I have had to replace the alternator belt on the road twice. Once in my current car, and once in my last car. I loosened the alternator, slipped the new belt into place, pried the alternator over to one side with a lug wrench to take the slack out of the belt, and tightened up the bolts. I just saved: another $50 for a tow, $50 for labor (just an estimate), and when I got home my dinner was on the table still warm! Again, a multitool would not have been much help in the situation.

Changing tires is pretty common, again, no use for a multitool. If you don't have a lug wrench a socket set will work. A multitool won't. Also multitools don't have jacks.

Jumping a car with a low battery is pretty common. Like mentioned above, no jumper cables on multitools.

I had to replace an a/c compressor once on a trip to Colorado. We were burning up in the car and just couldn't take it anymore so I stopped and replaced the compressor, filled it up with freon, and we were on the road again. Saved the labor costs, and we didn't have to sit in some town in the middle of nowhere waiting for the part to be replaced. Again, no multitool required. Just a SMALL tool kit.

I think the main reason I carry my tool kit and other stuff for my car is to be somewhat self reliant. I like to be able to think that I can depend on myself. Of course I can't handle all the problems I might encounter, but I can handle quite a few, and I can guarantee you a small tool kit will help me out a lot better than a multitool.

There have been many occasions where I have had to repair either my car or a friend's car by the roadside, and most of these would not have been possible without a good tool set. Granted; we're all automotive engineering students, so we are probably a bit more willing and able to start wrenching on things than your average motorist.

A good example of this is when we replaced the water pump on my friend's truck. One car went to get the new part and the rest of us started getting the old one off.

Interestingly; it was a situation similar to that which Gollnick described, with one bolt that required the entire engine to tilt up out of the chassis in order to be removed conveniently. Our solution was to unhook the engine mounts and then use his jack (yeah that jack, for changing tires) to force the engine up into the correct position. Everything went together fine and as far as I know the pump is still on the vehicle.

Another time my friend came rolling into the parking lot at school with his Mustang loaded down with all sorts of lumber and a hand winch. We then built an engine hoist around his car in the middle of the parking lot so he could put some new parts on.

I also know a guy who has a Mazda that burns up clutches every coupld thousand miles. He keeps a spare clutch in his trunk all the time. He's told me that he has done it often enough that he can swap the entire thing out in under an hour at the side of the road. I've never actually seen it done, but I believe it.

If you are put in a position where something breaks and have a good set of tools and general automotive knowledge you are considerably better off than somebody opening the hood with nothing but a Leatherman and confusion.

I have done many road side repairs myself. One time we were heading home and I had car trouble. I was able to pull into a car dealer's lot to look the car over and find the problem. It was a $3 seal that was leaking antifreeze. They wanted something like $60 to put it on. They went on about how they had to drain the system and bla, bla, bla.....

I said just give me the part. I went around back of there lot and had the seal on it about 15 minutes and top the antifreeze off and was out of there. A couple of there guys were even watching me as I worked on the car.

I think they seen me as someone from out of town with my wife and baby who was going to pay what ever they wanted to repair my car. How wrong they were :)

I have not use my multi-tool for any of the repairs.

My LM Super Tool rides in the outside pocket of a tool bag that is stored behind the driver's seat in my Ranger. I also have an SE Endura and a PE Jess Horn in other pockets. Inside the bag are several tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers, a hammer, pliers and a bunch of bungy cords (gotta love bungy). I don't consider the LM to be "the tool" but I do like the fact that it allows me to be able to have multiples of certain tools (for example, how may times have you needed two pairs of pliers)in a fairly small package.

My favorite roadside repair was required when I was riding with a friend in this sports car of his. We hit some railroad tracks a bit rough and the car just stopped. Everything stopped. We decided to have a look under the hood to see what we could see and had troubles even getting the hood up. When both of us did get the hood up, we saw the trouble immediately. The batter tie down had broken and the battery, with top-mounted posts had jumped up and hit the metal hood where it had welded itself. We got out a tire iron and pryed the batter off of the hood, got a jump from a passing motorist, and drove off.

I've found that with the obvious exception of flat tires, most of my roadside repairs have consisted of either cleaning battery terminals or tightening something. Loose electrical connections and loose hoses seem to be common. I've had two blown hoses over the years. In both cases, I applied hose tape and was able to go just fine until I was able to replace the offending hose, which was several days in one case. So, I'm a big fan of hose tape.

I also like to carry a wire brush since I've had a lot of success just cleaning off battery connectors.

The first time I had to change a tire on my old Olds, I got out the supplied tools and discovered that the supplied lug nut wrench was made of bent sheet metal. Under the torque required to loosen a lug nut, it collapsed. So, I was forced to call for a tow truck just to get a lug nut wrench! I immediately bought a 1/2" Socket wrench and appropriate socket. The repaired tire failed a couple of days later and I was absolutely amazed at how easy that socket wrench made changing a tire. I've since bought sockets for all common tire sizes so that when I stop to help others, I can use my socket wrench instead of a crappy lug nut wrench. The job is done twice as fast.

I got out the supplied tools and discovered that the supplied lug nut wrench was made of bent sheet metal.

Ugh! I hate those things! :barf:

Back