Multi-tool with a prominent main blade

Hey BF folks!

So I'm in the market for a new multi-tool, and this time I want something that looks like a primary blade that just so happens to have a few extra tools added. I have a selection of SAKs which I love (including the One Hand Trekker), but that's not what I'm looking for this time.

The Leatherman Crater C33TX is (almost) exactly what I want, but it's WAY too small for my hands. Is there anything out there that's similar, but somewhat larger? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Well, there's the Kershaw Select Fire, and if you're willing to cruise eBay for a bit or look for secondhand options, the Leatherman E55, K5xx and H5xx series. Another discontinued option would be the Buck X-Tract series.

There were those Emerson Multi-Taskers, discontinued I believe but they pop up occasionally.

~Chip

Well, there's the Kershaw Select Fire, and if you're willing to cruise eBay for a bit or look for secondhand options, the Leatherman E55, K5xx and H5xx series. Another discontinued option would be the Buck X-Tract series.

Have you owned a select fire ? The ergonomics suck ( they're the worst I've ever felt ) and all it has is a bit driver + bits then a bottle opener notch and some measurements marked on the screwdriver shank.
I personally didn't find it to be a quality knife, so I finally got tired of looking at it and gave it to my cousin to replace his pos Kershaw cryo2 as it was at least a better replacement than a flea market folder would have been.

I would suggest checking one out if they were still on sale for $10 like mine was 5 or so years ago, but for the normal $35 I say no way.

Last edited:
If you can find some used ones, LM has an older version of the crater that was larger. Gerber had a knife called the Obsidian that looked interesting, but I heard the tools were not that great.

Personally, I gave up on that route and got a dedicated knife, and keychain MT. If I know I'm going to need more, I'll also carry a Juice. Any more than that, and I'll toss a small toolbag in my briefcase.

Hey BF folks!

So I'm in the market for a new multi-tool, and this time I want something that looks like a primary blade that just so happens to have a few extra tools added....Is there anything out there that but somewhat larger?...!
Large? There's always this chunky multi tool from the RATNIK Russian future soldier programme...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratnik_(program)
847_0.jpg

After losing my previous Leatherman, I picked the Skeletool. Pliers and two interchangeable bits~ phillips and regular, and a great knife blade. It’s a sheepsfoot shape with an oblong Spydie type opening hole. Better version is available in cpm154.

I use the blade and pliers most, so didn’t need all the doodads.

~Jeff

Last edited:
I carried a Gerber Obsidian for a short while. I got the impression that it was a decent quality knife. Rock solid lock up. The screwdrivers reminded me of SAK tools. Adequate but don't put any serious torque on them.

Back