Multi-tools and Such

My RFP. There is always a Micra in my LFP. I ordered a 4” Knipex because they are the best pliers. The little one offers a slight functional advantage over the ChannelLocks, but not enough to justify the extra space it takes up.

I used to carry an SAK on every bike in supplementation of the tool kit. When the first Leatherman came out, I started using it instead, until the knife let me down twice on one trip to Mexico. I still have most of my SAKs, but I can only find one LM, and don’t care. The Micra is still their best tool.

Attachments

• F97F773D-1B8A-43B2-A680-1BD1A3F72376.jpeg
    F97F773D-1B8A-43B2-A680-1BD1A3F72376.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 16
I only carry a multi tool when I know I'll be far from a tool box and that's pretty seldom. I do often carry a 5 inch Knipex plier in addition to my pocket knife. If I need another tool, I usually walk back to the truck.

I've been carrying a Leatherman Squirt (pliers) in a pouch attached to one of my boots for many years (it's been on several pairs of boots). Since I always have my boots on when I go out, I know I always have my Squirt, so I don't have to think about it. I don't use it often, so "boot carry" allows me to have it with me, but in an out of the way place.

I removed the blade and file as I had no use for them and wanted to reduce the weight (the boots, and everything else are heavy enough). And I converted the awl into a mini screwdriver. I've found the pliers very useful particularly for grabbing and pulling zip ties and wire through small openings when I don't have full-sized needle nose pliers handy. As well as countless other uses.

Perhaps most valuable of all, it's perfect for pulling the mini fuses out of my motorcycle's fuse boxes. They're packed in there tight and there's no way I can pull them out with my fingers. Came in real handy one night not too long ago when I experienced a short and blew my brake lights fuse while away from home (I always carry extra fuses). If I didn't have my Squirt I would of had to ride home in the dark with no brake lights.

I feel great satisfaction when something I carry proves to be of vital usefulness. It's validating.

In the first pick you can also see the Wiha mini bit driver (hollow handle full of bits), and a pair of adjustable pliers. They've both come in handy too.

qLiy5Lf.jpg

PgkpZzk.jpg

Last edited:
I have had the wingman for Maybe 5yrs now. Very useful and handy tool. Matter of fact I just took delivery of a brand new surge with the bit kit and extender. I can't wait to put it through its paces. I do property maintenance and MT have saved me a trip alllll the way back to the truck.

That is my experience with Leatherman also.

A friend of mine broke the blade on his Wave (using it as a pry bar). I sent it in for him and Leatherman just mailed out the latest new unit with all the upgrades.

I was very impressed. My friends Wave was in perfect shape other than the broken blade. I should note that it was a first generation model.

I agree that Leatherman has a strong warranty. I've used it once, and was very happy with the outcome. The other tools I broke were being used hard enough for me to classify it as abuse, and I really don't feel that Leatherman should send me a new tool when I'm using things outside of design parameters. It's just cheaper for me to replace a 40 dollar pair of pliers or a 20 dollar sak than it is a Leatherman. I've been happy with the arrangement for about a year now, time will tell if I change back.

I have the Sidekick and the Wingman. I chose these because of the spring loaded pliers. I also like their warranty.

I had one of Gerber's multi-tools. Don't know which model, the one that the pliers retract into the body. I liked them just fine, and found them to be quality.

But now I have a Leatherman belt pouch that has a pair of Knipex Cobra XS pliers and a Kershaw Scallion in it. I might add a micro-light even.

I blame @Gary W. Graley for this departure from EDC'ing a Leatherman. We'll see how it works out though.

The Wingman and Sidekick aren't going anywhere, added one to the wife's B.O.B. and one to the jockey box of the pickup.

Carried a leatherman wave for years but then upgraded to a full sized Swiss tool. The only thing is that it's pretty heavy in the pocket. Been thinking a spirit x is in my future but have not pulled the trigger yet. Keep hoping one will pop up on the Exchange...

I carry a Squirt because I can. I EDC a lot of stuff. Larger multi-tools can be tough in pocket. They work on my belt but if I already have a fixed blade or firearm up there, it gets awkward.

For my purposes, I've decided that easy access pliers are more important than easy access to the other tools, so I like the slide-out Gerbers and the SOG PowerAssist. The PowerAssist opens freely like a balisong (butterfly knife). Overall I prefer the Leatherman wave, but all of the ones I own have stiff opening pliers so they're difficult to open with one hand.

Unless I know I'm going to use one, I keep them in the car or in a backpack. I don't like carrying them on my belt.

I carried a Leatherman for a few years.
It got lost or something & I replaced it with a Gerber.

Despite the Leatherman being better, I'll never buy anything from Leatherman again.
I dislike supporting a company that's at odds with my beliefs - personal and/or political.

Hey sabre cat sabre cat , here's a picture of my little Squirt. This little guy is so useful for edc tasks. Especially for untying pesky knots the kiddo makes. In everything. Haha

20210109-085147.jpg

I really love my Leatherman squirt. I actually don't think a day goes by that I'm using it for something. Its just soooooo damm handy. It cuts, it screws, it pulls, it files, it's helped me fix some of my wife's jewelry clasps, been trout fishing in the Sierra Nevada's, camping in Big Bend National Park, Opened a ton of snack foods on long cross country car trips, and it opens a cold one after the job is done. Its my only multitool, but I don't really need more than my squirt. And the little pliers are a God send for senior citizen arthritic fingers and small fiddly things.

I'd rather walk out the door in the morning with just my squirt than any other SAK or pocket knife. In the five and a half years I've been carrying it, its become part of my life. I'd rather walk out without my pants on than without my squirt. My neighbors may buy me a new one after that!

I really love my Leatherman squirt. I actually don't think a day goes by that I'm using it for something. Its just soooooo damm handy. It cuts, it screws, it pulls, it files, it's helped me fix some of my wife's jewelry clasps, been trout fishing in the Sierra Nevada's, camping in Big Bend National Park, Opened a ton of snack foods on long cross country car trips, and it opens a cold one after the job is done. Its my only multitool, but I don't really need more than my squirt. And the little pliers are a God send for senior citizen arthritic fingers and small fiddly things.

I'd rather walk out the door in the morning with just my squirt than any other SAK or pocket knife. In the five and a half years I've been carrying it, its become part of my life. I'd rather walk out without my pants on than without my squirt. My neighbors may buy me a new one after that!

I'm with you, man!

I'm a dad to a 5 year old, and this is a perfect carry for any dad. This thing takes care of those tiny little screws modern toys come with for the battery compartments. The wife uses the scissors.
And of course it makes short work of the knots the kiddo puts in everything! Haha

I own probably in excess of 60 MTs - and no longer carry one. I just don't need an MT on a daily basis - or ever really. Plus, the pliers on an MT - which are the whole point of carrying one - just aren't that good. As noted above, a little pair of Knipex Cobras or Pliers Wrench are vastly superior to an MT plier.

So for me, I carry a SAK and often an Endura or whatever, and on occasion will carry a Knipex - which almost never gets used.

Now, some of you tradesmen and working stiffs might use an MT more often. I get it. But I write legal opinions at my kitchen table all day. What the heck do I need an MT for?

There is the "what if" factor. What if I'm trapped in an elevator with 3 bikini babes and have to MT my way out of it to save their lives? But I'm 58 years old and that's never happened, nor do I expect it to.

MTs are fun to buy and own and hoard and play with. I just don't carry one anymore.

b9CSRQY.jpg

Just the tip of the MT iceberg.

9G0qlTK.jpg

Mental illness, anyone?

0uXPNMn.jpg

UGM1i4A.jpg

My top carries are the Victorinox Swisstool and Spirit and the Leatherman Wave. Sometimes the Leatherman Crunch will accompany whichever one of those I'm carrying.

I'm in the cult of the Victorinox SwissTool. In particular for me the Spirit X in black oxide. I've been carrying one for years now and it has served me well. Honestly, as to why I chose the model, cool factor and appeal had alot to do with it in the beginning. That being said, over the years it has been a worthy companion, and it's in my pocket daily.

pC8lsxl.jpg

UgKEZqq.jpg

o4x6h3l.jpg

Side question- what's the folder next to your Spirit in the first pic? I like it but I couldn't quite make out the blade markings on my phone.

My top carries are the Victorinox Swisstool and Spirit and the Leatherman Wave. Sometimes the Leatherman Crunch will accompany whichever one of those I'm carrying.

Side question- what's the folder next to your Spirit in the first pic? I like it but I couldn't quite make out the blade markings on my phone.
Looks like a Hinderer to me. Not sure if I got the spelling right.

Back