Multi-tools. :)

These can be considered as gadgets, right?
smile.gif

After seeing a picture of Gerber's newest creation, I WANT ONE! (or two, or three).

I already have the Leatherman Wave, PST-II, and the Gerber Multilock Scout. But this new one from Gerber looks quite handsome! I wonder when it'll come out?

I want one to. They look pretty cool. I use the gerber multi lock I have now alot, and I carried the original gerber for about 4 years before that. They just keep coming out with new ones. It think its a conspiracy.
Theres another thread on this going on over in the gerneral discussion forum.
And you can chech out a review of it at www.equiped.org I think thats the right url, if not, you can get it from the other thread.

------------------
We got a five dollar fine for whining
We tell you before you come in
So if it ain't on your mind to have a good time
Y'all come back and see us again.- Chris LeDoux

I use my multi tool every day. I just tool my old leatherman out of active service.(It will most likely end up in a tool box)It had provided me with 7 years or every day service. This is quite a long time considering that the gerber that I had lasted 3 months.

I went down to the local knife store and played with them all. Gerber, Victornox, Leatherman just to name a few.

The one that I decided on was the Victornox multi tool. It was more geared toward contruction based applications. It also has a wonderful weight and size. I will see how long this one lasts. I would recomend it to almost anyone. Take a look and tell me what you think.

------------------
Life is short, art endures.

Thats odd that the gerber wore out so fast and the leatherman lasted for 7 years. For one thing, all the tools inside the gerber are shorter and thicker than in the last leatherman I looked at, and the pliars were a little heavier too. Maybe the one you had had somehting wrong with it. I'm on my second gerber, the first was one of the originals and it lasted 4 years. And that was with daily abuse. I work on a farm and that tool cut lots of baling wire, and on several occasions the nose of the pliars was used to pry hitchpins out. I used the handle to pound nails in on fence boards and things that were coming loose sometimes too. My new gerber( 600 series multi lock) has been through one season of baling hay and straw, and lots of other stuff so far and is holding up really well.
I looked at a swiss tool once. I didn't like how small the jaws were compared to the gerbers but other than that it looked like a nice tool. Just like always we all have different opinions. I still can't wait to see the new gator jaws. I really like the idea of the carbide wire cutters that can be rotated to a new edge.

------------------
We got a five dollar fine for whining
We tell you before you come in
So if it ain't on your mind to have a good time
Y'all come back and see us again.- Chris LeDoux

Regarding Leatherman vs. Gerber in terms of durability:

I've not really used my Gerber Multilock Scout that much, because I gave it to a friend of mine as a gift, and he owns an auto repair shop (so you have an idea where it's getting used). So far so good. Except for the blade, which got dented and chipped, the rest are okay.

My Leatherman PST is holding its own as well. I'm just wondering what steel Gerber used to produce those multilocks. They seem to be a bit softer than the ones used on Leatherman.

I have yet to see a Victorinox Swiss Tool though. Just from the pics, it does look a bit stubby, and heavy. I'm pretty sure that fit-and-finish-wise, it will outgun Leatherman and Gerber... but utility-wise, I'm just not sure. I would try to get one, but I don't see any advantages it has over the ones I have at this point.

I eagerly await the new Gerber release. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a cool thing, specially if they come out in different colors, hehehehe...
smile.gif

Dan

In regards to the Swisstool's pliers, I have used them several times to remove the hooks of tiny ultra-light fishing lures from the mouths of various bluegilss, bass and assorted finned creatures. All different sizes of fish, no problems. Used it once already this year to remvove a hook from my delicate digits, which is a first.

Later, Jeff B

------------------
Knife Medic "Weilder of Fingerdicer,Healer of Minor Owies,Instigator of Laughter"

One thing about the Swisstool, is that even though the pliers are thick, they come all the way together at the tip, so you can still use them for fine work.

I carry my Wave all the time. I like it a little better than the Swisstool, but they are both great tools. I gave my first Swisstool to a friend who is now a Keeper at the Denver Zoo. He uses it every day and loves it.

I love my Wave, but will either get a Pulse or one of the new Gerbers. Anyone know when either will be available?

Thanks!

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Back