Multilayer Materials

Hi,

Many people asked me this on the last days, so I decided to post about the process.
Probably other fellow makers already know all of this, but it might help people trying to start on the knifemaker path.

In order to make any multilayered material, you have to have a decent vice (horizontal is better, but any kind would do).

The resin I use is either polyester or epoxi, and once you mix it with a "thickener", as the resin by itself is too liquid, you place one layer of this mix in top of a piece of fabric (like you were putting jam on a cracker or something), then you place another piece on fabric on top and start doing the same process over and over until you reach the desired height. (Take into consideration that you're going to press that, so the height will get considerably reduced)

Once you get this, you put it on the vice, making sure that the parts of the vice (or the layers of metal that you use between the micarta and the vice) are properly oiled, or otherwise this micarta will stick to the vice and it will be a real mess to unglue it.

Once it gets completely dry (time would depend on the materials and resins) you just take it off the vice and can use it as you please.

You can use pieces of fabric of the same color or different, depending on what you want to achieve.

What I do in order to achieve some designs on the micarta so I don't have to make stange shapes on a handle or cut diagonally or so, is to place little acrylic cilinders on the bottom and top of the micarta before I press it, so even if I loose a lot of material as I can only use the center part, it gets me nice designs.

The process for a multilayered wood is the same as the one I use with micarta, so even if I don't have images of the process of actually making micarta, I can use some of the wood process ones that I do have.

Here's an image of the cylinders I mention, right off the vice. In this case I wasn't making micarta, but a wood multilayer in wich I used black resin instead of transparent, to test how the wood would absorb the resin, making a nice effect.

multilayerwoodfrentecil.jpg

Now this image is similar, but showing how I alternate the cylinders to get that wavy result.

multilayerwoodcantoc.jpg

And this is the final result, once I got rid of the non usable parts of it by filing it on both sides. Once I get this, i use it as a regular piece of wood on a handle/sheath.

multilayerwoodcanto.jpg

Two more examples of multilayer wood ready to use.
multilaminadomadera.jpg

maderalaminada.jpg

A multilayer made of leather to use on a sheath.
multilaminadocuero.jpg

And finally, the finished work on some handles.

This particular one was painted black with an aerograph on the top and the bottom, and then laqued with transparent poliurethane. (blade is 9260 diferentially hardened)
9260laminadoright.jpg

9260laminadolomo2.jpg

This one wasn't laqued for more grippyness (blade is D2)
pequeleft.jpg

pequeright.jpg

Cotton fabric 3 colored micarta (my first attempt at micarta in different colors)
micarta.jpg

On a small damascus test knife
1micarta.jpg

1micarta2.jpg

I hope this helps!

Ariel

Recepción Ariel,
Gracias por compartir los sus procesos. Realmente tengo gusto del cuchillo pequeño. Alegre tenerle aquí en el foro.

Bluejeans micarta....Brilliant! I love it. Thank you sir, for sharing this... :)

That is a really nice looking integral.

Gracias!!!!!!

I will definitely experiment with this later this year. Thanks for the help! ALso, your knvies are very beautiful, and look very functional at the same time. Feel free to share pics and knowledge anytime!!

Ariel thanks, that is very good! I particularly like the colored fabric one. What do you use for a "thickener"? Does the epoxy take longer to harden when it's used thick like this? I may have to give this a try too, thanks for sharing your method.

Hey folks,

I messed up that translation, as I missunderstood the meaning of the original Spanish word.

It's not a "thickener" but a hardener/catalyst that you're given when you buy the resin. It's a generic product, so Ariel doesn't know the name of it.

It's a liquid and you have to add 3% of the original resin volume in order to work properly.

Thing is, if you don't add this to the resin, it would not dry/harden at all, so you'd never get a proper micarta, but a sticky mess.

Maybe some resins came already with this product added, but Ariel never ran into a a resin like this yet.

Nestor

Back