Multiple alloy secret run revealed, books open on low wait time orders.

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've made it my goal to be able to serve more people in 2023 than any previous year that I have been a knife maker. And so far I am on point to be able to do that. These 40 blades are the result of a "secret run" I put together after I put the still pending 86 blade MagnaCut run in motion. Jarod Todd, whose service I have been benefiting from since shortly after I went full time, notified me that he had a plasma cut/heat treat customer ahead of me who only needed a small part of a .160" AEB-L sheet, and asked if I would like to piggyback some blades on it, rather than have a partial sheet left over. I did not hesitate to take him up on it.

These blanks are in rough ugly state. Use your imagination to picture them as finished knives with these profiles, and grinds and options according to your preferences. Most of these are available, with exceptions noted near the end of the post.

Here are, from top to bottom, left to right, some of the designs which I sent Jarod and said "fit what you can on the sheet, and bill me". These are what I ended up with:

.160" AEB-L
13" bladed Sylvan XL prototype
17" bladed hidden tang wakizashi prototype (or ginunting style blade, should I or the customer decide to flip it around!)
Pair of 4" bladed Prevail Tantos, aka "Prantos"
4" bladed hidden tang dagger prototype
EDChef Camp prototype
Skinny Fat Bowie
Skinny Fat Bowie XL Prototype
Spear point pocket fixed blade
7" bladed hidden tang dagger prototype

JIAU2033.jpg

I also asked Jarod if he had any other blades in his shop that were 1) hardened, and 2) not destined for customers. He went through his shop and found the following blades, some of which are his designs (the AEB-L, and 15N20 blades) and some of which were designed by and originally intended for a customer, but due to a miscommunication between them, ended up being sent back, and an identical run of another thickness processed instead (the 8670 blades).

All the blanks below have been modified by me to change them from the original designs, with the greatest changes having been made to the 8670 blades. The only exception is the leather crafting knife, which is Jarod's design; he does not mind me using it as is.

.06" AEBL
paring and steak knives, and a .04" leather knife

IMG_0135.jpg

.093" 15N20
kitchen cutlery

IMG_0136.jpg

.156" 8670

EDC knives (originally broad bellied drop points with a different handle profile)
IMG_0137.jpg

.156" 8670
Ten tough tantos to tackle troublesome tasks (also originally larger broad bellied knives with different handles, but it's about time I made some beastly carbon steel tantos for everyone)
All a little different, with 4 3/4" to 5" blades.
IMG_0139.jpg

At this time, the only ones not open to be claimed are:

The Skinny Fat Bowie, as it has been claimed by one of only a small number of people I told about the secret run before today.
The Skinny Fat Bowie XL, Sylvan XL, and Prantos, as I have a number of people waiting for one of these designs (though not in this exact alloy and/or thickness), therefore I need to confer with them and find out if any of them want one of these ones, and if so determined the fairest method of prioritizing them.

The rest of the blades are available, and with the exception the aforementioned SFB XL and an upcoming run of 8 daggers, and a couple machetes, which altogether should not take more than a couple weeks once they arrive, there is nothing currently on the books outside of orders that are still out for plasma cutting and/or heat treatment, so anyone ordering anything from this secret run can expect a fairly quick build. No deposits will be required on any of these knives, but they will be ROFR (right of first refusal). By all means feel free to review available options, and contact me via PM, email, text or phone call to ask questions, discuss pricing and disclose your preferences for any of the available knives.

Thank you and I look forward to serving you all,
David

Sorry Chris. I know the fine print can be a pain sometimes.

So tempting, tanto #1 or #3, or 15N20 reverse tanto RC 61.5, hmmm

I must resist. I must save money. I must resist... until my other two orders are paid and delivered.

You can always PM me with possible prices, hypnotic suggestions, or threats...

Last edited:
David if the #5 blade in the pairing and steak knives is available I'd be interested in it. I'll have to look over the options if it is available. Just let me know.

Thanks,

It is, and thanks for your interest. Feel free to shoot me a PM once you've looked over the options.

Excellent job on the 165mm Kiritsuke Gyuto. You usually don’t see that nice belly upsweep that I like on Japanese cutlery. I’ve been buying 165-185mm Bunkas lately, so that caught my eye.

I think you would enjoy making a Honesuki

Last edited:
Excellent job on the 165mm Kiritsuke Gyuto. You usually don’t see that nice belly upsweep that I like on Japanese cutlery. I’ve been buying 165-185mm Bunkas lately, so that caught my eye.

I will pass along your praise to Jarod, who designed those blanks. As I stated in the post, the 15N20 blades are ones that Jarod had in his shop that had been sitting unused (he is too busy to be a knife maker any more, at least for now), and I said "send me whatever you have that is heat treated, I can use any style". And I ended up with these, which is nice, because I didn't think I'd be doing chef knives again so soon, but I'm really enjoying making them.

That one is fabulous, and I can't wait to get it here ☺️

At this point, the only knife brand for which I own more than I do David Mary Custom knives are Benchmade, Spyderco, and Victorinox. My David Mary collection has now passed up my Hinderer and CRK collection, as well as my Civivi/WE collection or Artisan Cutlery/CJRB collection.

Are the AEB-L tantos still available? In the market for a first knife for my son.

Both were claimed. Is the knife for recreation or does it need to fufufill a specific function for him?

He just likes the blade shape. We are a simple folk. 😁😂 In all seriousness, he’s turning 6 and I’m just looking to get him something he’ll like. So recreation?

Okay, why not one of the 8670 tantos?

Okay, why not one of the 8670 tantos?

On an unrelated note - will the 8670 tantos be able to cut through a 16p nail or 1/4" bolt if batoned with a hammer through them? Asking for a friend.

Wasn't planning on it, but if your friend wants one with a grind that doesn't cut like a knife, sure I can do one like that.

Wasn't planning on it, but if your friend wants one with a grind that doesn't cut like a knife, sure I can do one like that.
Fine 😋 On a more serious note then, I haven't had an outdoor knife in 8670 before. Other than keeping it dry and oiled, what kinds of tasks is 8670 steel best suited for - I'm assuming toughness is it's forte, with ease of sharpening being high - I don't know how tough the steel is, or how well it holds and edge with RC 60.2.

Last edited:
Back