Multitool in UK?

Is it legal to carry a Spirit or a PST on your belt or in your pocket in the UK ?
I'm asking because I will be around Europe for a Month so I just want to know if it's legal to carry on the street in most of the European Union Contries?:thumbup:

Hi

The EDC law here is strange. You can only carry a sub 3 inch slipjoint (I don't know the size of the blade of the PST but I know it doesn't lock).

BUT if you have a good reason to carry it (eg work, easier to say with a multitool) you can carry anything.

I think that is right but check the British Blades Law forum for more info, http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

You may get into trouble if the blade locks! I got the idea from other post that they are really strict on knife carry.

RickJ said:
You may get into trouble if the blade locks! I got the idea from other post that they are really strict on knife carry.

On that assumption, I left my Supertool at home and carried a PST while in England for a month in 2004. Nobody remarked on it, officially or otherwise.

I haven't been stopped yet, but I don't carry one on my belt!
They do sell mainly Leathermans and SAK's here in most outdoor shops.
You might be better off with a normal SAK in your pocket though just in case!
Have a nice trip!

>>>>"I'm asking because I will be around Europe for a Month so I just want to know if it's legal to carry on the street in most of the European Union Contries?"

==================

Will you be "backpacking?" If so, I think the explanation that you're traveling and, as such, need the tool would satisfy any cop (assuming, that is, that you don't get into a fistfight with the queen or start a soccer riot or something like that).

BTW, I don't think you can look at the situation in England and then automatically assume the same goes for the rest of the EU. For instance, in the Czech Republic (a new EU member), I carry all sorts of goodies openly anywhere any time: Endura, Leatherman Wave, locking SAK, and so forth. Never once give it a thought! :) When I went to Scotland recently, however, I only brought along a SAK Tourist, mindful of the draconian bullcrap laws there in the UK.

"I'm asking because I will be around Europe for a Month so I just want to know if it's legal to carry on the street in most of the European Union Contries?"

You'd be very unlucky to be stopped and searched in the normal course of events in the UK, and I doubt, as a tourist, you'd be prosecuted for a multi-tool anyway (our policemen are pretty nice as a rule), but visiting some tourist attractions (London Eye) and using some transport systems (Euro-tunnel) might involve a search.

I've often taken my locking SAK Hunter on trips to Europe but if I think I'm going somewhere I might get searched I leave it at the hotel. or in my luggage.
If you're worried about it I'd take a SAK Huntsman. Covers you for most uses and nobody will care a jot even if you use it right under their nose. :)

Finland, Germany, Austria, Hungary are rather multitool-friendly (in this order). In Denmark and Italy maybe you'll be a trouble with a bigger than 8 cm, locking or one-hand opened knife. (Info comes from the german Messer Magazin.)

Hey Thanks a lot for all the replies I really aprecciate all the info!:thumbup:
I will take my Spartan and my old PST II just in case!

I carried around a Vic Spirit in Italy last year, including places like museums. I didn't wear it out on my belt though.

Back