multitool suggestions needed [female preferably]

LaBella

←JerzeeDevil→
I need to get my sister a multitool.small, versatile, and idiot proof!

she , of course, said Leatherman..but I wanted to get some peoples opinions.Im sure it will be purse carried and used in a jam.

I wanted to get her a Charge Ti, but Im not sure if that is overkill.So, casual users and women [or men who's women use them]

please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::confused:

My wife really loves her Leatherman Micra.

A LM Squirt P4/S4 would also be a good choice, IMO. =)

LaBella said:
I need to get my sister a multitool.small, versatile, and idiot proof!

she , of course, said Leatherman..but I wanted to get some peoples opinions.Im sure it will be purse carried and used in a jam.

I wanted to get her a Charge Ti, but Im not sure if that is overkill.So, casual users and women [or men who's women use them]

please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::confused:

My wife has an aversion to most Leatherman products. Anytime she needs to borrow a multitool it is with reluctance if that's what I'm carrying, and sometimes she refuses it altogether. OTOH, she has her own SAK which she likes and uses often, and when it is not immediately axailable, will happily use a SAK if that's what I have on me.

We discussed this, and while she concedes the capability of my various Leathermen, finds them "hostile" to the touch, thinks they are really more a "guy thing." While I have known women who use Leatherman tools, I think my wife's take on the subject may be typical. Although I own several SAKs and Leatherman tools and apprreciate all for what they can do, I must respect other points of view.

It might be good to sound out your sister on this issue. A Swisschamp is an awesome package for its size and weight. If she really wants a full bore honking Leatherman, the Charge Ti is great and probably the most fool proof of them all (watch those scissors, though). If a small one is what she needs, look at the Squirt S4, darn good scissors, okay other implements (aggravating bottle opener, tho) and probably the closest thing to sleek in the Leatherman line. Attach an LED mini-flashlight to it and she will be good to go.
:)

I got my girlfriend a Leatherman Blast. Largely because a wave or charge would have been overkill for her. She does not really need one hand opening for the knife and doesn't need a serrated blade. She basically wanted something to supplement a tool box. The blast has every basic tool she might need.

She's a teacher and there's always something in the classroom that becomes broken or some situation where she says, "I could have used your tool-thing."

With the blast I figured she'd carry it everywhere and thus it would more versatile than getting her a tool box. That and I love to perpetuate the love and acceptance of knives. She carries the tool in her purse and it is always handy when she needs it.

My wife carries a Leatherman Fuse and Vic Climber in her car. I would say that the Climber gets the most use. Usually she just needs scissors or to turn the odd screw. The climber is faster than the fuse to deploy.

Jake

Steely_Gunz said:
My wife carries a Leatherman Fuse and Vic Climber in her car. I would say that the Climber gets the most use. Usually she just needs scissors or to turn the odd screw. The climber is faster than the fuse to deploy.

Jake

A Climber is what my wife keeps in her purse. When not carrying that, or when she needs a file or pliers, her EDC is whatever I have in my pocket at the time. We manage :) .

What my wife really used was a Victorinox Classic keychain SAK. It only has a knife blade, nail file, scissors, and the toothpick and tweezers in the side scales, but she actually used all of those frequently. Unfortunately 9/11 happened and due to her constant flying schedule all knives became a hastle. As a minimal item I would suggest a Victorinox Classic or a SwissLite. The SwissLite replaces the toothpick and tweezer with an LED light. That can really be handy.
http://www.victorinox.com/newsite/en/produkte/taschen/inhalt2.cfm?pid=0-6228

My wife also tried carrying a Leatherman Micra for a while. It didn't seem to me that she made much use of the extra features that weren't part of the Classic.

Have her check out the options before you buy, for my wife ease of opening and closing were very important factors. She too picked out a Victorinox classic, and uses whatever I'm carrying as a back up.

I put a PST in my fiancee car like a year ago she told me that she have used a couple of times, that's enough for her.:thumbup:

My wife has a Leatherman Micra and the Swiss+Tech Util-Key. The tool she uses most often is the scissors which she uses for cutting yarn, threads, etc.

Her job takes her into public schools daily, so she doesn't carry a separate knife. Too bad -- we have knives aplenty. :)

thanks for the replies so far!

keep them coming......

Matches?:confused:

One of the things to figure out is whether you sister would rather have scissors or pliers in her tool. I have always got by with a sharp knife and so scissors have been redundent to me. My wife always sees certain tasks as scissors tasks and so required both for her EDC. That is one of the reasons that she got a Micra. She found it kind of a hastle to get to any tool but the scissors and so she wasn't crazy about it in the end. Another thing to check is what she would most commonly do with it. For my wife's job she opened a lot of boxes.

Multitools tend to be sort of heavy and bulky. If they don't get used fairly often they end up in drawers or glove compartments. If the multitool is easy to use for a common task it becomes a valued tool and continues to be carried. If it fits on a keychain it is easy to find and that increases the likelyhood that it will get used. It is best if it does not need to be removed from the keychain in order to be used. My wife used her Vic Classic because it fit all those requirements. She used the knife for opening boxes and the nail file more than any other function.

I'd suggest one of the Leatherman Juice models. They're small and don't weigh much (well, except for the purple model), which means they can be easily carried in a purse.

The Juices are also colorful and non - threatening in appearance, which I'm sure will be a plus for your sister.

well, she has 2 boys one 7 and one 4 so they constantly need stuff fixed, built etc.

this Christmas made her come to me and ask..some kind of hot wheels king kong set malfunction....

I think a plier with scissors would be key here!

thanks for all your replies I really do appreciate the time and thought youve put into this for me.

*off to score a small-ish ;) Leatherman*

thanks A LOT!

Ron

Back