Murphy's oil soap--buy where?

OK, I gather that this stuff is some old-fashioned liquid soap with a long handle like Murphy's Vegetable Oil Houshold Soap or similar.

Where do you buy it?? I've seem "Wally World" mentioned--colliquialism for WalMart???

Or does some regional chain actually call itself "Wally World"?? (no worse than "Piggley Wiggley or "Meat World" I guess....)

Would it be useful to scrub out what looks to be general forge grime that got into a wood handle before the rouge was used?? I got all the rouge off, but there's some black dirt in the open grain. I first thought the open grain was just dark, but I'm now convinced it's there's dirt in that thar wood.

Thanks

is the full name, and you should be able to find it at the local Piggley-Wiggley or equivalent in housewares/cleaning supplies, because it's a Colgate-Palmolive product, nationally distributed. WallyWorld, originally from the movie National Lampoon's Vacation with Chevy Chase, is a popular pseudonym for the ubiquitous WalMart. Anybody know how McDonald's came to be known as MickeyD's?

Firkin - As Berk said, it is national and no more than two stops should turn up a bottle. The wife uses it on cabinets and unpainted woodwork, so I read the label and tried it on a Chitlangi handle that was either dyed, or had more rouge than any I've seen so far. It is a concentrate, and the directions say to cut it with water. I didn't want water on my Saatisal, so I just dipped a soft toothbrush down the neck of the bottle and used it full strength. After brushing, I wiped it down and let it dry for a day, then repeated for another two days. The Chit handle had some checkering, and the oil soap will soften this, and the ring, so you need to watch this until it is dry. The handle still has a pink tinge, but sanded and oiled up very nicely. Whatever small amount of vegetable oils still remained seemed to blend well with the finish oil. BTW - do this over a lap full of rags or old towels. You may be surprised at how much rouge still remains in the wood.

Thank you Berkley...

I'll hunt through the gazillions of soap products and find the stuff.

MickyD...dunno, I thought it might have something to do with some fast-food fish place similarly named Captain [I forget inital]. Your version is undoubtably more interesting.

I find Home Despot to be a fine appelation for the monster home-improvement and tool store that paradoxically remains stocked to the ceiling with something?, but increasingly rarely has what I thought I should be able purchase there.

Whoohoo!

Scored the Murphy's soap at the drugstore round the corner that I frequent because of their cheap beer.

I'll let you know if I can get the soot, or charcoal dust, or whatever out of the grain.

And the Murphy's doesn't cost a limb, or even a digit, unlike most of that scamorama cleaning stuff. Right next door was 8 oz of viscous colorless oil labeled "cutting board oil" for $6.00. Heck of a price to pay for mineral or silicone oil. Jeeeeze....

Wal, thanks for the tip. Last new project I need is removing rouge from my nether-regions and the washing machine.

(Edited to remove and take away the redundant terminology "red rouge". Man, can't be too many beers--first one. Time for another)

just used the Murphy's treatment on my new aquisition 4 treat's red stuff all gone. You can do a search and location finder at Homedepot.com and walmart.com. you can also find white rouge and emery compound 4 oz. 3.49 each.

I too just used the Murphy's on a karda and chakma.

Khuk's next.

The stuff worked great on nealrly all the remaining rouge, and got a most of of the black sooty stuff out too. For the black soot, I had to go to a fine brass brush, so I've a little extra grain filling to do.

Kesar must have juggled charcoal or something right before he made the handles.

I'd say its an essential 1st or early step in refinishing handles. I suspect it's got a lot of citrus oils in it (good for wood I think)--don't know what else, but it works great and didn't dry out the wood too much. With the brass brush, after most of the soap had soaked in, lots of flecks of the rouge just brushed out. must have stripped off the oil, and carried it deeper into the wood.

Take a look at the shop conditions in the pix. It's loaded with charcoal dust, grit from the grinders, dust and bits of cloth from the buffing, plus good old dirt from the vegetable fields outside that's tracked in. The only time is gets really clean is for Bishwakarma puja -- every couple of months or so.

No shop vac and water has to be carried in by the bucket.

I'm suprised the khukuris come in as clean as they do.

I'm suprised the khukuris come in as clean as they do.

Agree totally, it's just that I never saw this discussed in the handle refinishing posts. Maybe my handle just had unusually open grain.

Regarding suprised, I'm still surprised when I pick up a khuk and swing it around. Almost always have to go take a couple of whacks at my chopping log.

It's loaded with charcoal dust, grit from the grinders, dust and bits of cloth from the buffing

Does that make for unusual housekeeping problems upstairs?

Good thing it's made of brick! I'd hate to see a wooden building loaded with all that catch.

Not as bad as you'd think. The apts upstairs are surprisingly clean. It's the custom in Nepal to eat on the floor so floors are routinely mopped 3 times per day which keeps things pretty clean. Shoes are left at the door so no outside dirt gets tracked in.

Back