Murray Carter kitchen knife collaboration

Agree. Please do NOT include a hole on any fixed blade going forward. The Sypder logo alone should be sufficient. A spydiehole on a fixed blade does not serve ANY function yet adds to the production cost and could potentially affect the structural integrity of the blade.

So these will be selling at MSRP? What is that going to look like? I know it’s three different tiers.

They look beautiful, I wish I could get some of those. But the missus wanted all the knives to be matching and I just got some budget Kai Luna knives last year I can't convince her it's time to replace them.

If that is true, the pricing will not be discounted from MSRP,,, I will pass.

I was intending to purchase a full set of the super blue steel,,, it all depends upon the retail to customer pricing schedule.

We have so many nice kitchen knives at reasonable retail pricing made in Japan sourced from small makers and available via kitchen knife retailers in the USA.

Regards,
FK

I think it makes sense to see what the pricing is before we determine they're not a good value.

Agree that there are many nice knives Japanese kitchen knives at reasonable prices. I have an Konosuke Funayuki that is fantastic chef's knife and was ~$350. I could get a knife that cuts equally well for a lot less money. Didn't know better at the time.

Murray's knives are excellent. I have this set of his knives I purchased from him years ago when he was still working and producing knives in Japan.

View attachment 1101143
I have one of those paring knives on the far right that I use everyday. Probably bought it about the same time as Blues. Mine has been roughty 30% sharpened away over the years. Wish Murray still made them but his prices have went way up since then for sure.

I have one of those paring knives on the far right that I use everyday. Probably bought it about the same time as Blues. Mine has been roughty 30% sharpened away over the years. Wish Murray still made them but his prices have went way up since then for sure.

Hey brother, long time. Yeah, they would probably date back to within the first few years we spent time together at the Blade Show. Guessing late 90's, very early 2000's at the very latest.

I think I paid much less for the entire set back then than one of his knives would go for today.

I haven't seen any numbers, but Spyderco stated "The MAP for this program will also be the full MSRP of the products".

Where did you see this? If true, it could also mean that they are setting the MSRP to match the real street price, rather than a higher number few actually pay.

A large retail shop in PA has the Nakiri super blue listed for $335.
If that is the retail fixed price,,,,, way over the top.

The blade appears to not be forged,,, it is most likely bonded in three layers on a rolling mill operation, and made into large coils of steel,, then cut out for stock removal grinding for final shape. This type of construction should be 1/2 the listed retail price.

Regards,
FK

The blade appears to not be forged,,, it is most likely bonded in three layers on a rolling mill operation, and made into large coils of steel,, then cut out for stock removal grinding for final shape. This type of construction should be 1/2 the listed retail price.

Regards,
FK

Man, that's a bummer. I was really hoping these would squeak in around the $250 mark (I knew it was unlikely), which is about what I spent for my 52100 Zwilling/Kramer santoku.

At $335 that puts them about on par with the Kramer/Zwilling damascus Super Gold 2 Chef/Santoku that can be had for about $320 if you look hard enough... So maybe $335 isn't out of line for such a beautiful high quality knife.

Agree. Please do NOT include a hole on any fixed blade going forward. The Sypder logo alone should be sufficient. A spydiehole on a fixed blade does not serve ANY function yet adds to the production cost and could potentially affect the structural integrity of the blade.
Trademarks aren't about function. The hole isn't an issue.

If you’re talking about Country Knives, they price all Spydercos at full MSRP, and don't discount. I wouldn’t use them as an indication of what other dealers will be charging.

I wouldn’t use them as an indication of what other dealers will be charging.

Spyderco stated in their newsletter the allowed retail price would be MSRP,,, no retail discounts permitted.

Regards,
FK

I'm saying that Country's listed prices could be higher than the official MSRP/MAP. We don't know, but it wouldn’t surprise me, given their pricing policies. Honestly, I don't know how they stay in business selling regular Spyders (and other knives) at full MSRP. That's their concern, not mine, though.

Curious to see how these turn out. I've been wanting to add a funayuki to my rotation (almost got one of murray's customs) but I'll hold out until more info is posted. I've got a few nicer knives I'll put them up against (kono fuji, tsourkan, etc).

A bigger question for me will BD1N with synthetic handles outperform the current MBS26 kitchen knives (now discontinued but I have several) enough to justify the significantly higher prices of these new ones?

I have no question about the SB models but I don’t see myself spending that much on a chefs knife, I would go ZDP/HAP40 at that point.

Back