1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Murray Carter kitchen knife collaboration

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by marcus52AR, Mar 29, 2019.

1. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Agree. Please do NOT include a hole on any fixed blade going forward. The Sypder logo alone should be sufficient. A spydiehole on a fixed blade does not serve ANY function yet adds to the production cost and could potentially affect the structural integrity of the blade.

amateur blacksmith likes this.
  2. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    So these will be selling at MSRP? What is that going to look like? I know it’s three different tiers.

3. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I don't think any pricing information has been released yet.

4. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    They look beautiful, I wish I could get some of those. But the missus wanted all the knives to be matching and I just got some budget Kai Luna knives last year I can't convince her it's time to replace them.

5. BladeBill

BladeBill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I haven't seen any numbers, but Spyderco stated "The MAP for this program will also be the full MSRP of the products".

6. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I wonder if that is going to be good or bad for the consumer.

7. FK

FK Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    If that is true, the pricing will not be discounted from MSRP,,, I will pass.

I was intending to purchase a full set of the super blue steel,,, it all depends upon the retail to customer pricing schedule.

We have so many nice kitchen knives at reasonable retail pricing made in Japan sourced from small makers and available via kitchen knife retailers in the USA.

Regards,
    FK

sharp_edge and David Richardson like this.
  8. David Richardson

David Richardson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    I think it makes sense to see what the pricing is before we determine they're not a good value.

Agree that there are many nice knives Japanese kitchen knives at reasonable prices. I have an Konosuke Funayuki that is fantastic chef's knife and was ~$350. I could get a knife that cuts equally well for a lot less money. Didn't know better at the time.

9. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    I have one of those paring knives on the far right that I use everyday. Probably bought it about the same time as Blues. Mine has been roughty 30% sharpened away over the years. Wish Murray still made them but his prices have went way up since then for sure.

10. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Hey brother, long time. Yeah, they would probably date back to within the first few years we spent time together at the Blade Show. Guessing late 90's, very early 2000's at the very latest.

I think I paid much less for the entire set back then than one of his knives would go for today.

11. tommylion

tommylion Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Where did you see this? If true, it could also mean that they are setting the MSRP to match the real street price, rather than a higher number few actually pay.

12. FK

Sep 15, 1999
    A large retail shop in PA has the Nakiri super blue listed for $335.
    If that is the retail fixed price,,,,, way over the top.

The blade appears to not be forged,,, it is most likely bonded in three layers on a rolling mill operation, and made into large coils of steel,, then cut out for stock removal grinding for final shape. This type of construction should be 1/2 the listed retail price.

Regards,
    FK

13. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Man, that's a bummer. I was really hoping these would squeak in around the $250 mark (I knew it was unlikely), which is about what I spent for my 52100 Zwilling/Kramer santoku.

At $335 that puts them about on par with the Kramer/Zwilling damascus Super Gold 2 Chef/Santoku that can be had for about $320 if you look hard enough... So maybe $335 isn't out of line for such a beautiful high quality knife.

14. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    Trademarks aren't about function. The hole isn't an issue.

AlwaysTomboy likes this.
  15. BladeBill

BladeBill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    It was in the latest Spyderco newsletter according to a thread on the Spyderco forums.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  16. tommylion

Dec 19, 2018
    If you’re talking about Country Knives, they price all Spydercos at full MSRP, and don't discount. I wouldn’t use them as an indication of what other dealers will be charging.

17. FK

Sep 15, 1999
    Spyderco stated in their newsletter the allowed retail price would be MSRP,,, no retail discounts permitted.

Regards,
    FK

18. tommylion

Dec 19, 2018
    I'm saying that Country's listed prices could be higher than the official MSRP/MAP. We don't know, but it wouldn’t surprise me, given their pricing policies. Honestly, I don't know how they stay in business selling regular Spyders (and other knives) at full MSRP. That's their concern, not mine, though.

19. worshipNtribute

worshipNtribute

Jan 12, 2012
    Curious to see how these turn out. I've been wanting to add a funayuki to my rotation (almost got one of murray's customs) but I'll hold out until more info is posted. I've got a few nicer knives I'll put them up against (kono fuji, tsourkan, etc).

20. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    A bigger question for me will BD1N with synthetic handles outperform the current MBS26 kitchen knives (now discontinued but I have several) enough to justify the significantly higher prices of these new ones?

I have no question about the SB models but I don’t see myself spending that much on a chefs knife, I would go ZDP/HAP40 at that point.